Top 6 Ways to Avoid the Freshman 15

By: Tilson Gitter

Entering college is a large milestone for young women. The first semester is characterized by many new faces and unfamiliar situations which can prove to be anxiety provoking, yet exciting. While navigating a new social scene, campus, and academic setting, it remains important to prioritize your health and wellbeing. Below are 6 tips to help you avoid the freshman 15 and form healthy habits.

1. Adopt the 80/20 Rule.

Eating healthy may seem difficult in college as healthy options may be unappetizing and inconvenient. To ensure you are giving your body adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables adopt the "80/20 rule." Adopting this lifestyle simply means that 80% of the foods entering your body should have nutritious value while the other 20% can be more "guilty pleasure" foods you like to indulge in.

2. Set a workout routine.

Whether you want to work out 2 days a week or 7, establish a schedule for yourself and stick to it!! Here on campus, we are fortunate enough to have access to a newly renovated gym along with free workout classes.

3. Drink water. 

When you go to the pit or other restaurants, it may be tempting to get a beverage other than water, such as a soda or sugary fruit juice. While other beverages are okay on occasion, such should not become habitual. Sugary drinks equate to unneeded calories. Go for the water next time!!

4. Get at least 8 hours sleep per night. 

Your metabolism along with other bodily functions, such as your immune system, may be compromised if faced with sleep deprivation. Manage your time wisely and aim for at least 8 hours of sleep per night.

5. Beware of late night snacking. 

As many of you may have realized, it is very hard to keep fresh fruits and veggies in a college dorm room as they are perishable. While such snacks are not always an option, other healthy snacks are available. Next time you need a late night snack, go for a granola bar or Skinny Pop popcorn rather than a chocolate bar!!!

6. Prioritize mental health.

College can be mentally and physically exhausting. We often over commit ourselves and are plagued with high expectations. When studying for an exam make sure to take breaks and de-stress. Spend nights watching movies and using face masks. Relax, your body will thank you!