Top 3 Transitioning Hairstyles for this Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Lately, I have been discussing possibilities in changing my hair for the winter. As of right now, my hair is very long and curly (mid-back length, 3B type to be exact), but because of the cold weather, I haven’t been able to do my normal wet-n-go to class or else I’ll get sick. Due to this dilemma, I’ve been having to take quite a few hours out of my day to find protective styles at night that I can take out in the morning. However, if you know me personally, I’m a pretty lazy person and usually use those late nights to knock out the homework I procrastinated on.

This has made me think about cutting all of my hair off into a pixie cut. I did a huge chop a few years back and loved it, but I didn’t like how it was cut or the fact I had to pay for cut every two weeks so it didn’t last long. However, I believe I’m all for it again.

Now, as a person whose hair doesn’t grow back fast or have the ability to do whatever to their hair, I have to put a lot of thought into how I want the cut to look, how short, if I want color, etc. I decided to do some research today, and saw that there were a couple of styles for women to transition from fall to winter styles that caught my eye. I thought, “maybe every woman should know about this in case they want to be in style over break.”

1. Pixie Cut – If you’re looking for something daring and new for this winter – a pixie cut is for you. A huge chop for some (a trim for others) may bring out all the subtle features in your face that you might miss when your hair is longer. The downside of this cut for the winter is how cold your head might be because there isn’t much hair! For inspiration, I would say look at Cara Delevingne and Zoe Kravitz in their most recent big chops.

2. Bardot Bangs – If you’re like me and have a big forehead, this might also be for you this winter. Instead of changing your entire look by cutting a lot of your hair, you could just do a little trim in the front to change the frame around your face and bring (or hide) features this way. Some celebrities that have been doing it are Ciara and Selena Gomez.

3. Color/Ombre – For those who like the length, cut, and look of their hair but are indecisive on continuing the same color or highlights, a simple color change might just be for you. Fortunately, the colors that are in this season are burgundy, platinum blonde, chestnut, and copper-red tones. (It might be best to see a hairstylist instead of using box-dye, but whichever works for you is fine). For inspiration – I would look at Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen.

These are only a few, but the ones that caught my eye. The changes to your transition from season to season can vary from small to big, with a range of pros and cons to each look, but I hope these help!

Header photo

Capricorn from Charlotte, North Carolina. I love make-up, dogs, coffee and the moon.
Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!