Tips for a Successful Black Friday and Cyber Monday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Black Friday is one of the most chaotic, crowded and stressful shopping days of the year. But, it’s supposed to be fun! Below are four tips on how to get the most out of a hectic shopping day.

1. Make a Schedule.

First, decide what time you are willing to start the day. It is okay if you don’t want to wake up at 4:00 a.m. to start shopping, there will be sales throughout the day. However, the earlier the better because there will be less lines, more products, and better deals. Recently stores like Walmart and Target actually begin their sales on Thanksgiving evening. Be sure to research what time stores open, as well as what sales they’re offering. Additionally, plan out a route for your day detailing when you plan to visit each store. While your schedule is up to you, it is often best to prioritize visiting popular stores with outstanding deals first.

2. Budget, Budget, Budget.

It is imperative that you budget your money carefully as you don’t want to overspend. Set aside the money you plan to use toward others’ gifts, and then designate an amount to personal purchases. It is possible that while shopping for others, you come across an amazing deal that you cannot pass up, so allow yourself some wiggle room. Many stores sell exclusive products on Black Friday that you won’t be able to get any other day, so look out for those opportunities.

3. Take a Friend.

Not only is it more fun taking a friend, or two, along on your shopping trip, it is safer and more efficient too. It’s never a great idea to be alone in a huge crowd, but especially on Black Friday when people can get overexcited or emotional about a product. Also, it can be beneficial if you and a friend part temporarily to “divide and conquer” to grab your desired purchases.

4. Have Fun but Be Safe.

Lastly, Black Friday should be a fun day, marking the start of a cheerful holiday season. Take advantage of the best deals and get a head start on your holiday shopping. However, be careful of pushing, shoving, yelling, or fighting that can take place on Black Friday and protect yourself at all times. Also, be prepared for very long lines. Good luck and happy shopping!

Caitlin Shaw

Wake Forest '22

My name is Caitlin Shaw and I'm a junior at Wake Forest from Cincinnati, Ohio. I love reading, dancing, exercising, and playing with my French bulldogs. I write for Her Campus because I'm passionate about entertaining, inspiring, and lending advice to college girls like me :) I hope you enjoy reading my articles!
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.