rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Finals week…stress, sleep-deprivation, cramming and more stress! Basically, it sucks. Finals week can bring out the worst if we let this stress get to us, so here are a few ways to stay sane.

Turn off Social Media

It is clear that social media has the downside of being extremely distracting, allowing us to get pulled into a hundred different pages, ultimately leading to procrastination. Do whatever you need to do with your social media and electronics to avoid this because, in the long run, it will allow you to focus your attention on the finals ahead.

Plan a Schedule Ahead of Time

I have found this tip to be extremely helpful: making a schedule that allows you to take into account all the things you have to do will help to balance your stress level. Look at all the deadlines and create an achievable schedule for finishing everything. Working for a longer amount of time is going to be far less stressful than cramming for everything in a of couple days. Breaking up work into manageable chunks will minimize panic and stress and help you to know exactly what you should be doing.

Take Breaks

Although breaks can sometimes feel like a waste of time, they are actually very valuable. Small breaks can increase your efficiency and improve your focus; after working on something for a long time, recover and restore your brain. As long as you are able to take a break without it leading to major procrastination, it will help vastly with managing your stress. Force yourself to take these breaks regardless of how much work you have finished. Your work will be much more effective if you take the time to recharge.

Relax and Unwind

We are human beings, not superheroes. It is useless to try and work for 10 consecutive hours without a moment of relaxation. Take a bath, go for a walk outside, watch an episode of your favorite show, do some yoga— really anything that will be invigorating and allow you to take your mind off of your work.

Use your Friends as a Support System

During this taxing week, it is important to remember that you have your friends for a reason! Make time to be with friends who will help you unwind and give you support and encouragement.

Finals can be a week of entirely stress-inducing, overwhelming and dreadful, feelings. However, you can use tips and strategies to help lessen these feelings and make it as stress-free as possible.  Remember: everyone is going through the same anxiety as you, and finals are NOT the end of the world. 

Lydia Schapiro

Wake Forest '21

Hi! My name is Lydia Schapiro and I am a Senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish. I am from NYC and enjoy running, yoga, writing, and water sports. I like to write about fitness, movies & books, and mental health. My guilty pleasure is binge watching Sex and the City. My favorite artists are Cage the Elephant, Billy Joel, The Beatles, John Mayer, and Paul Simon.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.