This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

“Work Forest:” We have all lived and experienced this notoriously coined nickname, but at what cost to our well-being? It is mental health week, which has prompted me to reflect on navigating what sometimes feels like a toxic culture of productivity at Wake Forest. From extreme course loads to working part-time jobs, to participating in extracurricular activities, while still being expected to perform socially, the Work Forest culture can be exhausting. There are days when I exert every last ounce of energy in my system and still come up just a bit short. From what I have gathered talking to friends and classmates, this is a fairly universal experience. At a school where everyone was once the best at something, the pressure to perform perfectly can be exorbitant. As a community, it is important to have a collective consciousness of this epidemic and share the ways we get through it. These are some of my tips for navigating burnout in college. 

Move your body once a day 

Exercise is a pivotal component of overall well-being, however, it can be difficult to find time for the gym every day. One way of navigating this is detaching yourself from the outcome of exercise. It can be therapeutic to move your body by going on a walk with friends or playing tennis without having a particular goal in mind. Also, exercise is an escape from the pressure of everyday life. When I run on the treadmill, I view it as a meditative experience that is physically and mentally refreshing. I do not think about the test I have next week or the emails I have to respond to before the end of the day. 

Take advantage of campus resources

There was a time when I believed I was too busy to make my mental health a priority. Now, I engage with weekly therapy at the University Counseling Center. Although mental health counseling is not for everyone, I wholeheartedly believe that it is something everyone should try at least once. For myself, when life gets to be overwhelming, sometimes just sitting down and talking through everything in a safe environment brings me back to earth. 

Go back to your roots 

Wake Forest can feel like a bubble in the heart of the semester when it has been months since seeing family members or spending time at home. When I feel detached from reality in this way, it is liberating to go back to my roots and call someone from home. I like to call my parents or text my siblings in our group chat, reminiscing on our times at home. While it may seem like a simple act, college can feel isolated and lonely to the extent that it is difficult to reach out to people. When you feel like nothing is going right, pick up the phone and talk to someone you love and trust. 

Remember that you are doing your best and that is enough 

When you feel overwhelmed by looming exam dates and never-ending deadlines, remember that you are navigating life to the best of your ability and that is something to be proud of. College can feel like a juggling act and sometimes you are going to drop the ball on certain classes or activities. It is perfectly normal and acceptable to experience that failure as long as you learn from it. You are more than the numbers on your transcript and the bullet points on your resume. 

Alexandra Meier

Wake Forest '26

My name is Alexandra Meier and I am sophomore from upstate New York, majoring in Politics and International Affairs.