bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Tips and Tricks for the Active Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I have always had an active mind. My thoughts tend to get in the way no matter where I am or what I am doing, especially when I am intending to stay present. Luckily, through lots of exploration, I have discovered ways in which I can bring these thoughts to rest, and try to remain calm. 

Find YOUR exercise

When you hear the word exercise, you might get that dreaded feeling and think of the long treadmill runs that leave you feeling winded and drained. Exercise doesn’t have to be painful- explore the various types offered until you find one that suits you. Exercising works wonders for clearing the mind and releasing stress. After a thrilling exercise, you are bound to feel more relaxed and far less overwhelmed. 

Walk

Living in a city with infinite places to go, I’ve learned that a walk can be the best medicine to clearing your head and relieving yourself of anxiety. Put your phone away and focus on the sights in front of you; how are you feeling? Tip: focus on your senses- this is extremely helpful in returning to the present moment and being aware of your body and its needs. 

Music

When you get too in your head, a great way to release your negative energy is through music. I find that if my thoughts are taking over, the simple act of putting in headphones and playing music pulls me away from distractions and allows me to be calm. 

Journal

If you are like me and are someone who has various forms of anxiety that pop up unexpectedly, I strongly recommend journaling. Whether it’s on your computer or in a notebook, writing is a great tool for mental health. When your brain is jam-packed, it can be difficult to pick out the important thoughts, let alone focus at all. If you realize that you are having one of those moments, try writing: you can literally just pick up anywhere and see where it takes you. I guarantee that you will feel less anxious.

Recognize reality

The most important thing I have learned about thoughts is that they are not always reality. Once overwhelmed, your mind is more likely to take you in other directions, directions that are not necessarily helpful or realistic. If you find yourself being drawn in a hundred different directions by your thoughts, take a second to slow down and recognize: 1) What am I anxious about? 2) What are facts, and what is reality? 3) Is this a situation I can control? Once you have thought about those three questions, you will probably be calmer.

Lydia Schapiro

Wake Forest '21

Hi! My name is Lydia Schapiro and I am a Senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish. I am from NYC and enjoy running, yoga, writing, and water sports. I like to write about fitness, movies & books, and mental health. My guilty pleasure is binge watching Sex and the City. My favorite artists are Cage the Elephant, Billy Joel, The Beatles, John Mayer, and Paul Simon.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University