The Top Non-Traditional Christmas Songs (Ranked)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

If you follow my rule of thumb, Christmas music can start playing immediately after the Thanksgiving meal is cleared from the table. Although this best time of year is finally here, it seems as though many of us are getting tired of hearing the overplayed, pop songs sung by Michael Bublé and Mariah Carey. Instead, TikTok videos are popping up that share Spotify playlists that encapsulate the Christmas cheer without the cheesy classics. So, without further ado, here are my top 5 picks of the best non-traditional Christmas songs to get you in the holiday spirit:

Pennies from Heaven, by Louis Prima, Sam Butera & The Witnesses

“SHOOBIE DOOBIE!” Think Elf running around NYC during the holidays…it doesn’t get much better than that. 

The Nutcracker Suite, by The Brian Setzer Orchestra

Visions of sugarplums danced in their heads… unless, of course, you are a retired ballerina. Then this might bring back visions of pointe-shoe pain and bun-head headaches. 

‘Tis the Damn Season, by Taylor Swift

Probably the least conventional Christmas song on this list, and the most about getting back with your ex in your hometown. But Christmas time is all about miracles, right?

I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm, by Frank Sinatra: 

This song hits all the marks for a holiday—staying warm and being with your loved ones!

White Winter Hymnal, by Fleet Foxes

While not technically a Christmas song, it does have a wintery theme and a Pentatonix cover, so I am willing to add it as the last to the list.

Emily Hellwig

Wake Forest '23

My name is Emily Hellwig and I am a junior from Lexington, Virginia. I am Politics and International Affairs major with minors in Communication and Spanish, pursuing a career in Public Relations. I am a redhead with a soul, avid feminist, and lover of Pepsi, the deacs, dancing, and podcasts (in that order).