Style > Decor

The June Motel: 2021’s Newest (and Best) Aesthetic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The best way to describe Sarah and April from Netflix’s new show, Motel Makeover, is Gen Z’s very own versions of Joanna Gaines. They bring an aesthetic that is bright, bold, vintage, and exciting. They take inspiration from a retro 70s aesthetic with a contemporary touch geared towards a youthful audience. In their show, they describe the importance of targeting “girls’ trips” junkies, as well as families and couples. Overall, if you love VW vans, bold prints, houseplants, and neon signs, this aesthetic is for you.

When most people think of roadside motels, one-night stays on longer road trips normally come to mind. However, the two locations of the June Motel seem to leave their guests always wanting more. When reservations went live for the second location in Sauble Beach, a three-night minimum was required, and rooms sold out in less than a day. Sarah and April pursued the career path of being moteliers without any professional design experience, and while watching the show a person might pause to wonder how this is possible. The finished locations look like Pinterest boards come to life.

Beautiful bar carts, custom wallpaper, and terrazzo tile are just some of their identifying design traits. These add to what the women call “iconic selfie moments” catering to bachelorette parties, social influencers, and even weddings. With the addition of a restaurant, a pool, and outdoor firepits, a common emphasis on social interaction has developed between their two motels. They have completely reimagined the concept of what it means to visit a roadside motel.

Whether admiring the June from the other side of your laptop screen or traveling there for a girls’ trip, you should soak up this beautiful destination as it is sure to explode in popularity over the coming years. It is safe to say that even David Rose would stay at the June Motel.

Emma Martin

Wake Forest '23

I am a sophomore at Wake Forest University. I am a lover of all things art: painting, theater, crafts, and diy. I love my two dogs Cabbi and Biscuit. I am a traveler at heart; some of my favorite places I have been are Prague and Venice. I am an intended double major in English and Studio Art with a minor in Spanish. Fun fact: I was born in London, UK.