The 12 Most Anticipated Young Adult Books of Fall 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.
The Hawthorne Legacy  by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The long-awaited sequel to The Inheritance Games finds teenager Avery Grambs searching for the real reason billionaire Tobias Hawthorne left nearly his entire fortune to her over his daughters and grandsons. Living in a mansion with the four Hawthorne grandsons and a seemingly never-ending mystery, Avery is bound to run into a little danger, a lot of drama, and more questions than she has time to answer. 

Release date: September 7, 2021

The Last Legacy  by Adrienne Young

From the author of Fable and Sky in the Deep, comes a standalone novel about a young woman’s role in her family. Bryn is summoned home to take her rightful place among the ranks of her family’s (sometimes dirty) business. While chasing love and acceptance from her family, she must also contend with the struggle of finding herself.

Release date: September 7, 2021

Not Here to Be Liked  by Michelle Quach

Are there any rivals-to-lovers fans out there? Eliza Quan finds herself in the spotlight of a feminist movement because of a silly essay she wrote about a silly, stupid boy who ripped her position as editor-in-chief of the school paper out from under her. How will she deal with the people who now idolize her, the people who despise her for crying misogyny, and the silly, stupid boy she’s now stupidly falling for?

Release date: September 14, 2021

All These Bodies  by Kendra Blake

In the middle of Minnesota, two teenagers are somehow connected to a case of serial murders–16 bloodless bodies and no suspect. Marie, found covered in blood at the most recent slaughter, decides to confide in aspiring journalist and sheriff’s son, Michael. This murder mystery sounds like one that will keep the reader guessing!

Release date: September 14, 2021

Iron Widow  by Xiran Jay Zhao

In a world where mecha aliens threaten the people protected by the Great Wall, girls are sacrificed mercilessly to power the only weapons able to fight them. Zetian volunteers herself for the sole purpose of taking revenge for her sister’s death. After claiming the title and position of Iron Widow, she begins her journey to uncover the secrets that rule the misogynistic society she inhabits along with her new partner–the powerful and feared pilot, Li Shimin.

Release date: September 21, 2021

For All Time  by Shanna Miles

Tamar and Fayard have fallen in love in every life they’ve lived thus far. The catch–they never get to live out the end of their story. But when they are finally able to break the cycle, will they be ready to face the consequences?

Release date: September 28, 2021

Once Upon a Broken Heart  by Stephanie Garber

Evangeline Fox makes a bargain with the Prince of Hearts to stop the love of her life from marrying another. The only thing he wants in return? Three kisses. But he wants far more than that… and maybe she does too.

Release date: September 28, 2021

Kingdom of the Cursed  by Kerri Maniscalco

The highly anticipated sequel to Kingdom of the Wicked follows Emilia as she navigates her new position as Queen of the Wicked. With an impending marriage, her master plot of revenge for her sister’s death, and her questionable relationship with her once-ally Wrath, Emilia is more lost than ever. To survive hell and the seven Princes of the Wicked, she will need all her wits and magic about her.

Release date: October 5, 2021

Vespertine  by Margaret Rogerson

From the acclaimed author of Sorcery of Thorns, this standalone follows Artemisia as she rushes into training to become a vespertine–a powerful priestess. The only person who can wield the relics to defeat the spirits and dark magic haunting the convent she has sworn to protect.

Release date: October 5, 2021

Aurora’s End  by Amie Kaufman

The finale of the Aurora Cycle is blessing our bookshelves this fall. Follow Auri, Tyler, and their band of misfits as they (attempt to) save the galaxy from complete and total destruction. What could go wrong?

Release date: November 2, 2021

Our Violent Ends  by Chloe Gong

Another sequel making the list, I’m sure we all remember Chloe Gong’s breathtaking Romeo and Juliet retelling in her These Violent Delights, the sequel can only get better. In classic Romeo and Juliet fashion, Roma and Juliette are once again sacrificing everything to keep each other safe. Will the two reconcile their differences or, will a threat to their city and families break them forever?

Release date: November 16, 2021

You’ll be the Death of Me  by Karen M. McManus

The author of One of Us is Lying is back again with another chilling thriller. On a whim, Ivy, Mateo, and Cal decide to ditch school, inadvertently following a classmate to the scene of his own murder. Amid secrets and lies, will this shared truth bring them back together or pull them apart forever?

Release date: November 30, 2021

Madi Miller

Wake Forest '23

I am from Raleigh, North Carolina, and I'm currently a junior majoring in Business and Enterprise Management with a concentration in International Business at Wake Forest University. I love photography, reading, road trips, Marvel movies, and volleyball! I hope to put myself out of my comfort zone and push beyond my boundaries in writing and creativity, and I am excited for this opportunity with Her Campus WFU!