This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. As a huge foodie, I always look forward to pigging out at the dinner table and realizing that my jeans can no longer button. It’s one of the days where you don’t have to feel bad when indulging yourself in loads of not-so-healthy food. I love the holiday so much, that even my favorite episodes of Gossip Girl are the annual Thanksgiving episodes. However, my Thanksgivings are not as elaborate as Blair Waldorf’s.

What I love about my particular celebration of this holiday is how relaxing it is. It’s a day where you can be cozy in your pjs all day and cook, or watch others cook (thanks mom and dad!). And this year I am more excited than ever. As a freshman, this has been the longest stretch that I have been away from my family. I don’t want to brag, but my family is pretty amazing, so being away from them has been a challenge this semester and only makes me more excited to be back with them. It’s also the longest that I have been away from my best friends. I can’t deny the fact that my high school group chat has been blowing up with texts about how thrilled everyone is to be back home together again. While I have always been thankful for my friends and family, this year only makes me more grateful to have these amazing people in my life.

These past few months I have faced a lot of changes in my life and many challenges. I am so grateful to everyone who has been there for me through this time. As cheesy as it sounds, I truly believe that everyone should really take the time to reflect about what they are thankful for this year. Even in the worst of times, there is always someone or something there to get us through it, just make sure you take time to acknowledge that.

P.S. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

Carly Newell

Wake Forest '22

Carly is a freshman at Wake Forest University who is from Arlington, Massachusetts. She is also a member of the Wake Forest Club Volleyball Team and the Love Your Melon Campus Crew. She loves chocolate chip cookies and romantic comedies.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.