Is This Taylor Swift’s Best Album? A Deep Dive into Lover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The old Taylor has returned in all her love song glory.  But now she has started fresh, forgetting that all of her haters existed.  But is this album the best she’s ever produced? Does this album have what the others have but more?

1.     A sassy badass song that makes you want to scream it in people’s faces.

Past Examples: Mean, Shake it Off, Bad Blood, This is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things

“I Forgot That You Existed”

This song has an upbeat tempo that is shaking off the drama and darkness of the reputation era.  This song is reminding you that all the people or things that you worry about you think it will kill you to move on… but it won’t.  A necessary song for encouraging you to cut those toxic people out of your life.

Best lyrics: “It isn’t love, it isn’t hate, it’s just indifference.”

2.     A song that makes your heart ache from the excitement and adventure from being in love

Past examples: Style, Out of the Woods, Getaway Car, Holy Ground, Mine

“Cruel Summer”

This song not only tells a story lyrically about falling for someone and you aren’t sure if it is supposed to just be a fling, but you can’t keep it from them anymore, you are in love. This song demands to be sung with the windows down and your hair flying out the window. 

Best lyrics: “He looks up grinning like a devil”

3.     A song that oozes love, it just screams being in love in every definition of the word.

4.     Past examples: Love Story, Delicate, This Love, You are in Love

“Lover”

A song that makes you want to find a love like that.  She tells a beautiful story with her lyrics that almost brings you to tears as you can picture love in your head while listening to the song.

Best Lyrics: “My heart’s been borrowed and yours has been blue, all’s well that ends well to end up with you.”

5.     The songs that rip your heart out and stomp on it but while saying beautiful words to beautiful melodies.  The song that hurts you to hear but you listen to it anyway because it demands to be heard.

Past Examples: All Too Well, Last Kiss, Dear John, I Almost Do, Back to December, The Best Day

“Soon You’ll Get Better (feat. Dixie Chicks)”

This song… is not only one of the strongest things that Taylor has ever done but the fact that she has the courage to put this out into the world for people to listen too.  She knows that this song resonates with so many people and so she handed a part of herself over to us to take care of. This song is impactful and important as well as beautiful and necessary, it tells the true hardships of watching a parent suffer.  It is the song that hurts to listen to and always makes you emotional.

Best Lyrics: “Who am I supposed to talk to? What am I supposed to do, if there’s no you?”

6.     The cute song that makes you happy and want to dance because life is good

Past Examples: 22, You Belong With Me, Our Song, Welcome to New York, Blank Space

“Paper Rings” “London Boy” and “I Think He Knows”

All these songs bring me immense joy because you can tell how happy Taylor is and the relationship, she’s in is so stable and so good and makes you want to sing and dance.

Best lyrics: “God I love the English”, “I like shiny things but I’d marry you with paper rings”, “he’s got that boyish look that I like in a man”

7.     The kind of annoying on but remains to be absolutely iconic.

Past examples: Shake it Off, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Gorgeous, Look What You Made Me Do

“ME!”

This song will forever be the start of the “Lover” era and that makes it important.  It brings smiles to people’s faces and will be epic to sing on tour. 

RIP “Spelling is fun”

8.     The crazy amazing lyrical experience in a song.  A song that blows your mind because of the beautiful story that it tells and the fact that Taylor is able to portray an entire story in approximately 4 minutes.

Past Examples: Enchanted, Wildest Dreams, Clean, Red, Dress, New Year’s Day, Fifteen

“Cornelia Street” and “Afterglow”

This song creates a movie in my mind.  Everything about it just tells a beautiful tale of people in this place where they fell in love.  You can visibly see the memories that she talks about and her fear of losing him. She also incorporates the sounds of a car at the end in order to really portray the realness of this moment just like she used her heartbeat in Wildest Dreams, her attention to detail is insane.  I would love to see this song be a music video because it would unfold like a romance movie and it would be absolutely incredible.

Best lyrics: “Barefoot in the kitchen, sacred new beginnings that became my religion” “Tell me that you’re still mine, tell me that we’ll be just fine even when I lose my mind”

9.     This album also brings to light some political issues of course in beautiful and entertaining songs.

“The Man”, “Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince” and “You Need to Calm Down”

These songs, while perfect for scream-singing in the car, also have political undertones.  Personally, I was nervous that her political songs would lack the entertainment value, but they didn’t they delivered.  “The Man” is one of the greatest songs ever simply because of the accuracy of the message and “You Need to Calm Down” is an absolute bop.

10.  A song about new beginnings

Past Examples: Clean, New Year’s Day, Begin Again

“Daylight”

All of these songs happen to be the ends of their albums.  All of them bring a sense of starting over and the possibilities of the future.

Best lyrics: “You gotta step into the daylight and let it go”

This album was able to convey every emotion, from sadness to happiness to feeling completely badass. The songs do it all.  Taylor was able to have the innocence of her debut, the fun of Fearless, the pain of Speak Now, lyrical genius of RED, the pop brilliance of 1989, and the badassness of reputation while sticking to who Taylor Swift is now. 

Jennifer Rokus

Wake Forest '21

Senior at Wake Forest University. LA girl living in the south. Netflix enthusiast. Avid reader. Lover of boots and pumpkin spice.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University