The Summer Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s S-U-M-M-E-R and boy are we excited here at HC. To kick off the best part of the year, I’ve compiled a short list of things essential to the enjoyment of sunshine, warm afternoons, and free time. If you’ve got a job or internship, congrats! But make sure you take some time to yourself!

The sun-less days of the library are over, so my first go-to item is a pair of hot sunglasses. Not only will they improve your look (and allow you to check out guys at the pool unnoticed), but they will also protect your eyes. Be safe, be fashionable.  
Sunscreen. It doesn’t have to be some super-strong SPF, but be sure to at least get one thin layer all-over. No one wants to burn. Ouch.

So whether you are on the beach or a sunny lawn, a cute summer towel is the best way to lounge and enjoy the day. 
Sandals! I always seem to buy yet another pair every summer, but there is no denying that cute sandals are the best footwear for the summer. Break out your favorite pair, or go shopping! (I tend to opt for the latter . . .)

Iced Latte, my personal favorite summer drink. But for those of you who are not coffee lovers, iced tea or a smoothie will do. A cold drink is necessary to make those hot and humid days a little bit cooler.
A book. After weeks and weeks of forced reading, pleasure reading can be the best way to let your mind relax. Pick something easy, something light and let your mind enjoy the break from note-taking and paper writing.

Happy Summer from HC Wake Forest!

*Photography by Elise Wallace

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.