Steal vs. Splurge: WFU Winter Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Happy Thanksgiving collegiettes! While you’re home and looking for winter wardrobe staples, consider some of the trends on campus. Barbour coats, tan boots, and chunky watches are some of the most popular trends at Wake. They are all versatile pieces that are not only cute, but are functional in the looming cold. If you don’t want to break the bank, Her Campus found adorable alternatives at the fraction of the price.

Barbour Coats vs. J. Crew Field Coat

Waxed cotton coats are a timeless look. Barbour coats are easy to throw on over anything and stay warm. However, if you don’t want to spend the $400 on a Barbour coat, J. Crew makes a very similar style called the field jacket. At $150, it easily rivals a Barbour coat.  Either one is a great option, and can be dressed up or down. Take a look at Samantha Moore (left) in the J. Crew Field jacket and Caroline Benson (’17; right) in the Barbour Beadnell jacket; both girls look great, not to mention the adorable puppy from Puppies on the Quad!

The Barbour Beadnell can be found here, and the J. Crew Field can be found here (currently an additional 30% off with the code HOLIDAY)

Frye vs. Sam Edelman

One of the trendiest boots is the Frye Melissa Button. It comes in various different neutrals and goes with everything. For $350 they are definitely an investment, so if you’re still unsure about spending that much, check out Sam Edelman’s many options that range between $100 and $200. Emily Beisler (’17) shows off her adorable Sam Edelman boots (left) that are very similar to Frye boots (right) and look just as cute!

Frye Melissa Button boots can be found here, and Sam Edelman boots can be found here.

Michael Kors vs. Anne Klein

While we don’t often use watches to tell time, your wrist candy is still an important accessory. Chunky watches are a huge trend right now, especially in tortoiseshell.  Michael Kors watches are among the most coveted, ranging from $200 to $350. If these seem a bit out of your price range, look at Ann Klein’s options. Ann Klein watches are priced between $85 and $150, which may seem like a better option for such a trendy piece. Allison Koscielniak’s (’17) Michael Kors watch (left) is the perfect fall accessory!

Michael Kors watches can be found here, and Anne Klein watches can be found here

Hey collegiettes! I'm Arianna and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I love all things preppy, but also like to incorporate trends into my wardrobe. I plan to major in communications and possibly minor in French. I can't wait to begin my Her Campus career and hope you enjoy my blog posts!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.