Starting the Semester Right: 5 Easy Ways to Stay Healthy & Energized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As you fall back into the painful routine of classes, meetings, homework and minimal sleep, you may be losing steam, feeling sluggish and/or having trouble concentrating on Act 2 Scene 2 of that Shakespeare play you have to have read by tomorrow. Never fear, collegiettesTM! We’re here to help you adjust to Work Forest yet again.

Breakfast

We’ve all heard the ‘breakfast is the most important meal of the day’ blah-blah-blah, but since our dorm rooms aren’t exactly fully stocked kitchens, it can be difficult to throw together a meal that actually packs a punch. Sure, if you’re a morning person, you could make a point to go to the Pit every day in the a.m. (kudos to you), but let’s be realistic–after pulling an all-nighter, the only thing we have time for at the Pit is a to-go bagel (toasted if we’re feeling really ambitious)! But don’t fret—there are other ways to make sure you have a healthy first meal without sacrificing too much morning time. Keep whole-grain, high-fiber cereal and skim milk in your dorm room for a quick and filling breakfast. Stock your micro-fridge with fresh fruit and yogurt (hey, that’s what Pit to-go is for), and have instant oatmeal on-hand. Granola bars are a good option, too, but beware of high-sugar varieties. Read the label and choose granola bars with all-natural ingredients, lots of fiber and protein and lower sugar contents. Your body (and stomach) will thank you!

Coffee

Contrary to popular belief, coffee actually has plenty of health benefits when consumed in moderation. And as college students, a caffeine boost is exactly what the doctor ordered. But watch out: there is a difference between regular coffee (or a skinny latte) and a loaded caramel macchiato. You need the caffeine, not the extra sugar and fat calories. (Environmental note: Invest in a reusable coffee mug to take with you around campus. If it’s a Starbucks brand, you’ll get a discount!) And here’s a quick tip: most Starbucks refills are just $.50, so carry your cup around all day for cheap coffee!

Exercise

“But I don’t have time! I have to write a 15-paper by tomorrow!” We all have excuses, but we all know that exercise makes us look and feel better (think Elle Woods’s endorphins speech). When we feel better, we perform better and we make better grades. See how it works? Even if you only have time for a quick 15-minute run on the treadmill, take a few minutes each day to unwind and de-stress with a workout. You’ll clear your head and recharge for the homework that lies ahead. What’s more, take advantage of myriad group fitness classes at the Miller Center—yoga, pilates, Metabolic Effect, Zumba and the like. Working out is a great way to take a break from the stress of school work and recharge! And if you’re the type that works better from a concrete schedule, the Miller Center also has personal trainers to keep you on track.

Study Groups

Which sounds like more fun: hunkering down in the Red Room whilst staring at a blank Word document or taking your work to a friend’s dorm room for a study date? Trust me; the second option is so much better. Skeptical that you won’t be able to focus and get your work done? So was I, but when you all meet up for a common purpose—to study—and make a point to turn off any distractions—TV, cell phones, YouTube—you will be more productive than you think. It’s like an exercise buddy, but better.

Sleep

Lights out before 2 a.m.! Your body will thank you. And beauty sleep is real. Seriously, do you want puffy, red eyes from staying up all night getting work done? If you have to stay up until all hours of the night, you may need to re-prioritize your day-schedule … and maybe your weekend schedule, too. Turn off that alarm clock on Saturdays, and sleep in!

See, collegiettesTM, you can be smart, social and successful without having to work yourself to the point of exhaustion! Heed our advice and start the new school year off with a bang!