Soph Strugs: President’s Ball 2015 Timeline

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The biannual school dance. Like a high school Homecoming dance, but upgraded. I mean, my high school Hoco didn’t have a live band for entertainment. And I’ll be the first to say – I am all about live bands. So, collegiettes, let me take you through a timeline of my first Prez Ball!

*Photo by Dean Shore

3-4:30pm: Sleep! A rally nap is a must for Friday and Saturday nights (obviously), but these naps are even more important because this event only happens once every two years. And I plan to make the most of it. #YOPBOETY (You Only Prez Ball Once Every Two Years)

4:30-6: Start getting ready. At this point, I’m used to spending a solid twenty minutes tops getting ready to hit the frats: straighten my hair, a swish of black eye liner, a chill outfit of a tank top and shorts complete with my chucks. This occasion was different: I pampered myself with a manicure and pedicure and curled my hair. And thankfully, I didn’t set off the fire alarms in my dorm (yes, the fire alarm in some dorms is triggered by hair spray. Hair spray. How does anyone expect me to style my hair with those restrictions?!).

6-8pm: Fueling up on food with great friends. Some of my closest gal pals and new guy friends took over a local restaurant. Talking. Laughing. Telling stories. Yeah, we probably annoyed those around us. Whoops. And it’s a refreshing change to eat some real food rather than Pit food.

8-8:40pm: Finish getting ready! I brushed on rosy pink blush onto the apples of my cheeks. Swirled on mascara onto my curled eye lashes. Glossed on my signature gold glitter eyeliner. Got my black and silver strapless cocktail dress zipped up by my roomie.

8:40-9:15pm: Photo shoot! I slipped into my two-inch sparkly silver heels and posed with my suitemates. There were so many Insta-worthy shots, how am I going to pick just one to post later?

9:15-9:30pm: Meet up with my squad for yet another photo shoot. Hands exchanging phones to take photos. Besties fixing each other’s hair for fly-a-ways. Hands on hip or arms down for posing?

9:30-10:30pm: Mingle with friends and brothers at a frat lounge and warm up my dance moves. At this point, my feet were already complaining about wearing heels. I was not given the gene to be able to wear heels. We can’t win them all. But I won’t let that keep me from dancing. Because I love dancing.

10:30-10:45pm: Walk to the shuttle. And yes, I took my heels off for the walk. I caved. (But I did wiggle them back on once we got seats on the bus!).

10:50: Woah. Jaw dropping. Gorgeous people surrounded me in glittery gowns and bow ties. We strutted over to the basketball court. The stadium was adorned with colorful streamers and lights. A band was jamming away. A mosh pit of dancers in front. We perused the area: dancers taking a break on club-like couches and munching on chips and queso and decadent chocolate brownies; friends busting out their best dance moves; alums happy to be back home.

10:50-11:30: Dance my heart out. And squeal when I happen to spot one of my friends. I just let the music move me. Did I mention I love to dance?

11:30-11:45: Hop on the shuttle back to campus. Time for Round Two! After a quick outfit change, I laced up my chucks. My feet thanked me for finally retiring from those mountainous two inch heels.

Midnight-2am: Music so loud I can barely think, let alone talk. Crowded spaces full of sweaty dancers. And I was in my dancing zone. I dare you to try to persuade me to take a break! And did I mention that I happen to enjoy dancing?

2:15am: Tumble into bed having forgotten to wipe off my make-up. And if I’m lucky, maybe my curls will still look decent in the morning. Because…tailgate! And football.

Isn’t Homecoming the best?

*Cover photo by Maggie Strouse