The Lalapink Beauty Products
The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

The Skincare Routine That Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Getting the “one year ago today” snapchats are a joyous moment for some. They are funny and weird and display moments of your life you might have forgotten. All of this is also true for me, but every time I look back I can’t help but stare at the redness, pimples, and eczema that once ruled my face. The lower parts of my cheeks were always bumpy and bright red and were accompanied by 10s of pimples. My face problems were mild compared to others with cystic or hormonal acne but, my skin became one of my largest insecurities. So, I set out on a mission to find products that would turn my face into that glass like skin everyone seemed to be talking about. I began to research and see what worked for others. I spent hundreds of dollars at Sephora and Walgreens trying to find the miracle product that like magic would make my skin perfect. But cleanser after cleanse and cream after cream, nothing seemed to work. So, I turned to natural remedies. But, after slathering my face with eggs, yogurt, honey, and even turmeric powder that would turn my skin bright yellow, I had to once again admit defeat.

My skin got worse and worse until, a month before my junior prom, I decided to throw a hail merry. I got online, researched, and landed upon a system from the most untrustworthy URL I have ever seen, “acne.org”. This system is complete with a gentle Cetaphil-like cleanser, a benzoyl peroxide gel, and a simple moisturizer that costs $42.62.That’s it. Skeptical, I threw away every beauty product I had hoarded on my bathroom counter and began to follow the steps of the system closely. All you had to do was wash your face for ten seconds with the lightest touch you can manage. Next, you would glide the gel across your face with increasing your dose every week until you use one finger length. Finally, you apply the lotion, which takes forever to absorb into your skin. I had a hard time believing that this would work because it went against all of the skincare instincts I used to live by. A simple cleanser? No exfoliation or toner? There is no way this works. 

Low and behold, a few weeks later, the spots began to disappear. After that I continued to try treatments and products. Adding a few things here, subtracting a few things there, substituting one product for another until I found a system that not only treats my pimples but also all my other concerns. Here is my routine today:

1.CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser ($11 from Target)

2.Thayers Witch Hazel Tone (With Rose Water) ($11 from Target)

3. acne.org-Benzoyl Peroxide Treatment ($19 from acne.org)

4. Cocokind Vitamin C Serum with Sea Grape Caviar ($18 from Whole Foods)

5. Herbivore Emerald Hemp Seed Deep Moisture Glow Oil ($48 from Sephora)

6. Mario Badescu Rose Facial Spray ($12 from Sephora)

7. Neutrogena Clear Face Sunscreen Lotion – SPF 55 ($11 from Target)

8. At night I switch out the Sunscreen for acne.org’s AHA+ cream ($18 from acne.org)

I also use these masks:

1. Origins – Hello Calm Relaxing and Hydrating Face Mask ($28 from Sephora)

2, Mario Badescu – Rose Hips Mask ($20 from Mario Badescu’s website)

Finally I want to highlight another product that helps with redness and my acne scars. I am not kidding when I say, “THIS IS A MIRACLE PRODUCT”. And it is only $2 at your local grocery store. It is… Aloe vera straight from the leaf. All you do is get an aloe leaf, cut off a strip, cut it open, squish it all over your face, and wait five minute. It feels a little gross and it’s smell isn’t the best, but I used this every night for a week and all of my redness was gone. I now use it intermittently and every time I can see an immediate difference.

I never achieved perfect glass skin and I know I never will. I will always have some redness and my pores will always be big. But, I have found a skincare routine that is filled with self care and makes me feel more confident every day. Every product in this list I swear by and I hope these products can help you too.

Tess Harvey

Wake Forest '23

Tess Harvey,originally a Washington,DC native, is a mathematics and computer science major at Wake Forest University. She takes an active part in student union, Her Campus, and multiple clubs helping children with and without disabilities in the Winston-Salem area. She loves peppermint hot chocolate, baking cookies with her friends, colored eyeliner, styling unique outfits, and sharing her life experiences on this wonderful platform.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University