Short Hair Shawty: How to Take Care of Your Short Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

When there’s long hair everywhere, short hair shawties like myself must band together and prove who does it best. Celebrities like Sanaa Lathan, Taraji P. Henson, Lupita Nyongo, Solange Knowles, and of course my girl Amber Rose have shown that short hair can be sexy, fun, bold and beautiful.

Many women may not be as bold as Sanaa Lathan but would like to be a short hair shawty. So, I am here to give tips and advice on how to go about choosing a short haircut.

Earlier this year, I cut a lot of my hair off. Honestly, I was very afraid. I knew I wanted to cut my hair, but I always imagined that the experience would be heartbreaking. I’ve watched too many ANTM episodes where the women would cry and bawl as they were watching their hair hit the floor. (Side note, Can you believe Eva Marcille thought she would look ugly with shorter hair???)

For real…I. was. shook.

But I did it! I finally did the big chop, and I didn’t shed a tear, the only emotion I felt was happiness and relief. I was finally free from long nights spent detangling my hair or feeling frustrated after yet another failed bantu-knot attempt. Cutting my hair was one of the best decisions I made because it made me feel more confident and self-aware.

Seven months later, I am still enjoying my haircut! I have learned some lessons along the way that are often times overlooked.

1. Moisturize!!

Just because you have less length to deal with, doesn’t mean you can say bye-bye to your hair care routine. You still have to make sure that you’re taking care of your hair so that it is healthy and strong. I believe the most important hair care practice is deep conditioning and moisturizing your hair frequently. As for shampooing, I always say that is up to the person and based on their lifestyle (ie., It is always good to shampoo after a sweaty run around campus!) Short hair or not, dry and brittle hair is not cute.

My favorite moisturizer at the moment  is Dr. Palmer’s Coconut Oil Moisture Gro Shining Hairdress. I apply this and a leave-in conditioner after shampooing my hair. As a result, my hair is soft and easy to manage.

2. Finding the cut for YOU!

It is important to do some research before cutting your hair. Don’t be afraid to ask some of your best guy friends about their barber (I took a trip with my guy friends and found the amazing Christina Nelson at Blend Masters who hooked me up right before Black Excellence). But, before going to the barber shop, you may want to know some key terms so that your request is clear and you get exactly what you want (Here’s a great list to look at). Also, find some pictures of what you may want or what you like. Instagram pages like thecutlife showcase various short hairstyles. It is equally important to find women with similar features (eg., shape of face, hair texture, etc.) so that the look works for you, not the other way around.

3. Be BOLD

It takes a lot of guts to go for a big chop, but you can’t just stop there. Go the extra mile and think about fun and creative ways to flaunt your short-do even more. Whether that means coloring it or asking your barber to include a eye-catching design, it is all about expressing yourself!

Here are some of the Black Beauties that inspired me to cut my hair:

Chrisette Michelle

Taraji P. Henson

Photos:

https://i0.wp.com/therapfest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Screen-Shot-…

http://www.talkingtexture.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/chrisette-miche…

https://www.fashiongonerogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Taraji-P-Hen…

Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!