Shelters vs. Breeders: What You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Who doesn’t love puppies? We adopt them, name them, cuddle them, and call them our friends for life, but what do we really know about where they come from? Collegiettes, here is the info you need to know about animal adoption, and the importance of choosing shelters over breeders.

First, some definitions

Breeders select and mate dogs of the same breed to produce what we know as “purebreds”. However, many breeders in the U.S. are known as backyard breeders who focus purely on profit and inbreed dogs for their looks at the expense of the dogs’ health. On large-scales, these are also called puppy mills. 

Shelters try to adopt out animals that have been lost, abandoned, surrendered, or strayed. They are often supported through donations and are meant to be a temporary home for an animal in need.

Look at the stats

According to the ASPCA, there are around 10,000 unlicensed puppy mills in the United States. Yet 1.2 million dogs are euthanized each year due to shelters’ inability to provide continued resources and space when animals are not adopted or financially supported. Why are we commercially breeding more puppies, in unhealthy and cruel environments, when we cannot even support the ones already in need of homes?

Adopt, don’t shop

Adopting your dog from a shelter means a lot of good things for you and your new furry friend. For one, they’ll have all their vetting done, including spaying/ neutering, and even some basic training. They are also far less likely to have inherited health issues than bred dogs from puppy mills. The shelter also acts as a huge support system to help you with your new pet, and even give you a rundown on the dog’s personality so that you know exactly what you’re getting into.

Finally, the most gratifying part of choosing a shelter dog over a purebred is to know you are saving a life.

Interested in getting involved? Check out HCWFU’s own Adopt, Don’t Shop campaign.

Megan Schmit

Wake Forest

Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus