This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Recently released on streaming services, She Said tells a difficult story you’re all too familiar with, but from a refreshing new perspective. The movie chronicles how the sexual abuse allegations against Harvey Weinstein first came to light. However, it removes the focus from Weinstein and instead directs it towards women: both the victims and the storytellers. It follows two reporters from The New York Times, Megan Twohey and Jodi Kantor, who were the investigative journalists behind the first publication to report Weinstein’s abuse. This real article, published in 2017, was a catalyst for the #MeToo movement and prompted over 85 women to come forward with allegations against Weinstein, in addition to countless other women against their own abusers. 

She Said is a story of courage on every front. As the film shows, many women wished to share their own experiences with Weinstein, and many did. However, due to extensive non-disclosure agreements and the producer’s domination of the film industry, speaking “on the record” to reporters was a much heavier task. Twohey and Kantor were confided in with deeply personal stories, but could not share them publicly without permission. 

The movie highlights the vastness of the issue of sexual harassment. Scenes are abruptly spliced together, jumping from story to story of women who do not know one another but tell remarkably similar stories. The film also serves as commentary on Hollywood as an industry; many people were aware of Weinstein’s behavior for decades and stayed silent, allowing him to continue to grow in his power. This, in turn, made it more difficult for survivors to speak out. 

Although Weinstein and the other abusers mentioned in the film are not portrayed on screen in an effort to highlight the others involved in their stories, many aspects of the movie are genuine realities. In a particularly heartbreaking scene, we hear the real voice recording of Ambra Battilana Gutierrez confronting Weinstein for assaulting her the night before, as he continues to demand that she follow him back to his hotel room. Actress Ashely Judd, appearing as herself, tells her story to the reporters, as well. 
Watching the movie feels like watching real life play out. The colors are dull and it feels as though certain scenes depicting the storytelling process never amount to anything. We hear powerful men attempt to explain away Weinstein’s behavior and minimize the survivors’ accounts, using the same arguments we hear each time a story of sexual abuse makes headlines. And yet somehow, the movie captures your attention and never lets go. A story about finding and sharing the truth, the movie leads by example. It portrays the most authentic moments in the lives of the journalists and the survivors doing difficult yet monumental work. No matter how well you think you know the story, She Said is a must-watch for a fresh point-of-view in an ever-relevant conversation.

Judianne Meredith

Wake Forest '25

My name is Judianne Meredith and I'm a junior at Wake Forest from River Vale, New Jersey. I am majoring in politics and international affairs with minors in journalism and anthropology. I love to write and am excited to be part of Her Campus to connect with college girls like me!