Shaggin in Pants? Say it Aint So!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Shag on the Mag, Springfest, Wake n’ Shake, Oh My! It all starts to get confusing when posters and fliers and Facebook events are blasted everywhere demanding your attendance at these student-run events.  However, if there is one thing you should be sure to get right, it is your Shag on the Mag fashion choice.

For those of you ill-equipped in the Lilly Pulitzer dress department or the Jack Roger shoe collection, never fear, there are options for you too!  If you came to the South for school, you knew to come with plenty of sundresses…hopefully, and if not, I pray that your friends did.

In the most concise terms, Shag on the Mag is equivalent to football tailgating mixed with Carolina Cup flare.  So, typically I would recommend pulling out anything floral, light, pastel, or eyelet, but if you are the not so typical Southern gal, I suggest throwing on something a little more festive for spring!

The latest trend hitting runways now are patterned pants.  Yes, you read correctly, patterned, including flowers, polka dots and even striped, pants. That being said, they have not exactly hit the streets yet.  What has though, are colored jeans or pants—a little less conventional than your customary blue jean mantra (heavy on the blue).  Colored jeans are littering streets and campuses around the country. The new IT color? Mint green.  Although lavender, peach, and pale pink are popular and chic as well.
[pagebreak]
 This pant or jean is the perfect piece to carry you from warm afternoons to cool nights.  If you are a little more conservative with your pant choices, there are some great options in light sky or periwinkle blue at Anthropologie.  My favorite is the Pilcro Stet Slim Straight version in sky for $98.  Depending on how much you are looking to spend, though, plenty of other options exist from JBrand and Pilcro to H&M and Forever21
Nevertheless, let us get back to business: how do colored pants fit in with you and Shag on the Mag? It can be difficult to ditch the dress when tradition says otherwise, but that is what they said about football tailgating and plenty of people continued to show up in leggings, boots, and a stylish scarf.  As the unexpected is always more fun, imagine the looks of admiration you’ll receive when you show up in pastel pants! Dare I say trendsetter?  

My take: Try pairing a cream, peplum top with light pink colored jeans, cuffed at the ankle to show off your strappy sandals and tootsies (freshly pampered and painted, of course)and don’t forget the jewelry!  Sport a chunky orange beaded necklace and small gold studs or try a delicate gold chain necklace and some funky bangles.  No matter what, you will radiate beauty and uniqueness in the sea of sundresses.  So get out, bust a move on the Mag Quad and rock those edgy and playful colored jeans.

If you want more inspiration for how to wear you pastel pants, search the looks of celebs like Cameron Diaz, Jessica Alba, Pippa Middleton and Lauren Conrad, just to name a few!

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.