SB2K12 Style: 3 Tips to Master Tropical Trendy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Hallelujah! Spring break is practically upon us! From what we’ve been hearing, it seems like most collegiettes are jetting (or road tripping) off to exotic tropical locales this break. Well, maybe not so exotic—but Panama City is still tropical, right?! After that first taste of super warm weather last week, it seems like everyone’s ready to get out of class and just spend some time basking in the sun.
If you’re one of the lucky ones spending SB somewhere hot hot hot, now’s the perfect chance for you to try out some of this year’s biggest spring trends.  Many of the fashions on this spring’s runways translate perfectly into everyday, wearable pieces that will look great on spring break! So when you’re packing your suitcase or beach bag for this break, think about incorporating some of these ideas!

Nude Shades

Super light hues were all over runways at fashion week this spring, from dainty pinks to pale shades of greens to basic tawny nudes. But don’t worry—you won’t have to go as far as the Carrie Bradshaw naked dress to try out this trend. Try trading out your tired old jean shorts for a more tailored pair in pastel pink or green. Even if the shorts are just as short as your old pair, your look will be a bit more mature and polished. If you wanna go bold, take this trend to its fullest potential, and check out some of the many nude dresses in stores right now. If you decide to buy, pair it with some really fun accessories—a nude dress is the perfect opportunity to wear your brightest shoes and jewelry! Added bonus: light colors look fab on tan skin!

Tie-Dye

What look could be more beachy than tie-dye? This trend has taken old homemade tees to a whole new level with expertly tie-dyed pieces showing up all over this spring’s hottest trend lists. Since spring break at the beach is basically a week-long chill sesh, there couldn’t be a better setting to try out this equally chill trend! Tie-dye is such a boho, breezy look, so it works best on super relaxed pieces like maxi dresses, flowy crop tops, and even on bikinis.  Just make sure you’re looking for the “right” kind of tie dye here—this trend is not about the super bright tie-dye swirls everyone tried to perfect at summer camp. The tie-dye that’s in right now is mostly in lighter colors, with only two or three shades per piece and no exact patterns. It’s all about going with the flow!

Color Blocking

This is a trend that’s been around all year, but it’s still going strong! And now that it’s springtime, bright and bubbly color blocking is what it’s all about—think blocks of fun colors like tangerine, canary, and coral. For spring break, we think that color blocked bathing suits are an absolutely gorgeous way to rock this trend. Bright suits in tangerine and coral will pop against tan skin, so grab one of these trendy get-ups and strut your stuff on the beach! Also look for bandage style skirts and dresses in blocks of the bright hues mentioned above. You’ll definitely stand out from a crowd in the best way possible!

*Photography by Iris Wigodsky

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.