This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Now that I have gone through the extremely anticipated, sometimes stressful, but all the while exciting recruitment process, I have a little bit of advice. I had talked to a lot of girls before going through rush and I feel as though everyone has different tips. Here are mine: 

1. At the end of the day, the outfit will not make or break you. Trust me. 

One of my best friends here at Wake had a mini-breakdown on Day 3 because her sweater was the color of the sorority she was going to that day and she thought that would affect their impression of her somehow. Another friend of mine was distraught because she stepped in mud and ruined her heel. Here’s the thing though: I can almost guarantee you that no one cared. I never saw anyone look down at my feet to judge how fresh my shoes were or what my boots looked like. When it comes down to it, the active members just want to get to know your personality, not which colors flatter you best. 

2. After your parties are over for the day, try not to talk about recruitment 

My roommate and I both agreed prior to the week that we didn’t want to come back at night only to talk more about rush. The days are long and the best way to relax after talking all-day about greek life is to forget about it for a few hours. Of course, this is sometimes easier said than done, but watch a movie with friends, go downtown or go to the gym. After the first day, my friends and I went to Chipotle and did not mention sororities at all. 

3. Bring a bag with chapstick and water. And anything else you need. 

I relied on chapstick the whole week. It’s cold out and your lips are bound to be a little chapped after talking all day and walking from building to building. Water is necessary for obvious reasons but I’d say make a list of little items you think you might need during rush and then pack a little bag to carry around on the days. 

4. Sometimes rush doesn’t go as planned. That’s okay. 

The truth is that no one can truly know you after a 5-minute conversation. No one can judge your character or know all of your quirks by asking what your major is and where you’re from. If you get dropped from a sorority, don’t take it personally (though it is hard not to, I know) and focus on the ones you have left to visit! 

Sarah Angelo

Wake Forest '23

I am currently a freshman at Wake Forest University from Doylestown, Pennsylvania and I am really excited to write for Her Campus! I am obsessed with anything related to fashion, writing, and music. On the weekends, you can find me hanging out with friends and talking for hours with anyone around.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University