A Royal Anniversary: Happy One Year, Will & Kate!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Elton John. Fascinators. Pippa’s bum. Just a few favorite memories from last year’s royal wedding between Prince William and Catherine Middleton. The world waited nearly thirty years for Diana’s first-born son to tie the knot, and now, a year later, our obsession with Will and Kate is as strong as ever.

The last 365 days have been a whirlwind of activity for the newlyweds. After their impromptu joyride outside of Buckingham Palace following their nuptials, we should have known that their first year of marriage would be anything but ordinary, from meeting President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, to Will and Kate’s much-anticipated royal tour of North America—including a star-studded night in Hollywood rubbing elbows with the likes of Tom Hanks and David Beckham.

We can’t talk about the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s first anniversary without talking about Kate’s trend-setting sense of style. Much like her late mother-in-law, Princess Diana, the Duchess set a new standard for royal fashion, from her breathtaking lace wedding gown (designed by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen), to an endless array of fascinators.
[pagebreak]

The new Duchess of Cambridge is much more than a fashionista. She and her hubby spent a good portion of their first year apart. Stepping into her role as the wife of the next king of England, Kate busied herself with official appearances—sometimes solo, sometimes accompanied by the Queen herself. Of course, she looked great doing it, but we can’t forget that this princess views her new duty much more seriously than just an opportunity for fashion statements.

What we all want to know is: what’s next? Just a year after her marriage to Prince Charles, Diana gave birth to her first son, William, at the precious age of 21. At nearly 30 years of age, both William and Kate are under international pressure to produce an heir or heiress. Rumors about a royal baby have spread like wildfire, but no pregnancy has been confirmed—yet. Can we expect a little baby Cambridge in the next year? All we know? That baby is going to be on the cover of People magazine’s Most Beautiful issue. Or, heck, any issue.
[pagebreak]

They say that the first year of marriage is the hardest. From the looks of it, William and Catherine have had smooth sailing thus far, and the world will continue to watch the royal couple in action. Happy Anniversary Will and Kate! 

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.