REWIND: Top 10 Halloween Costumes for 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Having some trouble coming up with a cute and creative costume for this Halloween? Her Campus is here to help. We did all of the research and heavy lifting to present to you a list of the Top 10 Halloween Costumes for 2013. So grab your pumpkin spice latte, sit back, and pick one!

1. 1920’s Flapper

*Image from U.K. Times

With the excitement of the Great Gatsby still in the air, channel your inner Daisy Buchanan this Halloween.  Wear a fringed or sequin dress, red lipstick, a feather headband, and long strands of pearls and you’ll look ready for a night at Gatsby’s mansion!

2. Mario and Luigi

*Image from Erin’s Currently Coveting

This costume is perfect to do with your roomie or BFF.  Dress up as the famous video gamers by wearing jean shorts and suspenders. Then one person can wear a green shirt and the other can wear a red one. Throw on a baseball cap with an L and an M respectively and you’re good to go. Mamma mia!

3. Choupette Lagerfeld

*Image from The Cultural Cat

If you don’t know who this esteemed feline is, Choupette is Karl Lagerfeld’s (Chanel’s creative director) cat. Take a new spin on the typical cat costume by wearing any white fur you can find, white cat ears, and a shirt with the Chanel logo on it.  Don’t worry collegiettes, you don’t have to break the bank for a Chanel t-shirt; check out all of these Chanel inspired t-shirts from Society6!

4. Olympic Athlete

*Image from Underground Soles

After the Olympics last year, USA pride was everywhere. Commemorate your favorite athlete by wearing red, white, and blue clothing for different sports. Be a gymnast, a soccer player, a pole vaulter; be anyone you want, its Halloween! Add a gold medal and you’ve got a winning costume!

5. Fanta Girls

This is a fun group costume for a group of four girls. Everyone remembers the old Fanta commercials starring four girls in red, orange, yellow and purple outfits. Each girl in your group can pick a different color and wear shorts and a crop top to emulate each girl. If you don’t want to make the costume yourself, Halloween stores sell ones that are exactly like what the girls wear in the commercials. Carry around your flavor Fanta all night and you’re ready!

6. Disney Princesses

Dress up as a group or by yourself as any Disney Princess. The best part of these costumes is you can get a huge group of girls and all be different princesses! (Plus you get to wear a crown and what girl doesn’t love that…)  Wear a purple bandeau and green skirt to be Ariel, or a flowing blue dress and a tiara to be Cinderella.  There are so many ways to do this costume, so be creative and let your inner princess shine!

7. North West

*Image from Styleblazer

This year one of the most famous celebrity babies was born to Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. Dress up as this famous baby by wearing all black, a gold pacifier, and draw a large compass on a piece of poster board with it facing the direction northwest. Cut a small hole in the top and put it on a piece of string and wear it as a necklace. Try to imagine being related to Kanye West even for a night…

8. Beanie Babies

*Image from Seventeen

Instead of just dressing up as an animal, make it a little more unique and dress up as a Beanie Baby! It couldn’t be easier; you can do the same cat eared costume as everyone else, just draw a red heart with “ty” on it and wear it around your neck, and you’re now everyone’s favorite childhood toy!

9. Rosie the Riveter

In addition to being an inspirational American woman, Rosie the Riveter is a classic look for a Halloween costume. Wear jean shorts, a denim shirt, and a red bandana as a headband, and you’ll look just as tough as Rosie! You can do it!

10. Minions

Since the movie Despicable Me was released, the obsession with minions, the small yellow characters, is never-ending. Wear blue overalls or shorts with a yellow shirt, pick up a pair of minion-like glasses at any Halloween store, and you’ll be a perfect minion! This is another great option for a group because there can be as many minions as you want!

Hey collegiettes! I'm Arianna and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I love all things preppy, but also like to incorporate trends into my wardrobe. I plan to major in communications and possibly minor in French. I can't wait to begin my Her Campus career and hope you enjoy my blog posts!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.