Reflections on Being the Editor-in-Chief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As my time as the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest’s branch of Her Campus comes to a close, it leaves me with some bittersweet feelings. I have been a member of Her Campus since I was in high school as a member of the High School Ambassador program. I knew in high school that I wanted to join the HC chapter at whichever school I decided to attend.

I remember sitting in the Informational Meeting for HC in the beginning of my freshmen year. I remember the Editor-in-Chief at the time, Lauren, talking about the editorial side of this magazine. In that moment, I knew I wanted to be like Lauren when I was a senior. I set the goal for myself to be the EIC by the time I was a senior.

I spent my freshmen year writing for the profile section and the blog “Freshmen Problems.” I had a blast sharing silly stories about finding a date for my first date function, breaking my phone, and the culture shock I felt from being a Chicagoan living in the South. I remember crying while I wrote my final blog- that column was a way to express myself and, do so anonymously, to share my life with the world.

My sophomore year, I was selected to be the editors of the profile and features sections. I loved my role of being an editor: having the opportunity to work with writers and help them grow even more. I am lucky to say that many of those writers are still a part of this organization.

Being the Editor-in-Chief my junior and senior years, including performing this position while I was abroad, definitely challenged me and molded me into becoming a stronger leader. I learned all about the ins and outs of an online magazine, working with an editorial team, and writing more. Being the EIC for two years is one of the things I am most proud of from my time here at Wake.

Being a member of this chapter for the last almost four years has been an integral part of my college experience. I met some of my closest friends through this magazine and was able to cultivate and grow my passion for writing while I was at it.

I have so many people to thank:

To Jackie: Thank you for being my rock, my co-CC, and my sister. There’s no way this magazine would be where it is at today without you.

To the former EICs: Thank you for being such role models and mentors to me. You all challenged me and believed in me over the years.

To my editors: Thank you for your hard work and dedication to your writers. I couldn’t be an EIC without you guys.

To my writers over the years: It has been an honor to get to know each and every one of you through your articles. I am so lucky to have been able to watch you grow in your writing abilities over the years.

Now, please help me welcome the incoming EIC, and my former writer, Haley!

HCXO,

Haleigh

Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!