Ranking Gossip Girl’s Iconic Thanksgiving Episodes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

When most people think of Thanksgiving traditions, a big meal, time with family, and watching the parade on TV come to mind. And while I enjoy all of these things, the holiday also reminds me of one of my greatest pleasures: rewatching Gossip Girl’s iconic Thanksgiving episodes. Five of the show’s six seasons featured holiday specials, containing some of the most dramatic and entertaining scenes of the entire series. Without fail, each year, the characters are brought together to celebrate with family and friends – only to be dragged apart again by secrets, lies, and scandals. And without fail, each year, fans devour the drama like a Thanksgiving feast. 

Here is my official episode ranking:

5. SEASON 4, EPISODE 10: “GASLIT”

This episode finds Serena in treatment for an overdose, which we later discover was set up by Vanessa, Jenny, and Juliet. We see unconventional Thanksgiving dinners take place in a rehabilitation center for the van der Woodsens and a prison for the Archibalds. While the episode is certainly dramatic, it is more somber than others of its kind.

4. SEASON 6, EPISODE 8: “IT’S REALLY COMPLICATED”

In the final Thanksgiving episode of the series, Dan and Serena attempt to have a quiet, drama-free dinner, but – shockingly – the drama is unavoidable. Dan releases his exposé of Serena and receives a slap in the face from Nate on his way out the door.

3. SEASON 2, EPISODE 11: “THE MAGNIFICENT ARCHIBALDS”

In this episode, Blair resents the Thanksgiving traditions of her new stepfather and Jenny seeks emancipation. Serena’s boyfriend, Aaron – unpopular with fans to begin with – clashes with Dan, but the episode ends on a heartwarming note for most of the characters, who find ways to feel at home even when the holiday looks different than usual.

2. SEASON 3, EPISODE 11: “THE TREASURE OF SERENA MADRE”

Featuring Gossip Girl’s all-time most memorable scene, this episode certainly ranks high in the drama department. At the biggest Thanksgiving gathering yet, every relationship – from families, to friendships, to marriages – falls apart, while Jason Derulo’s “Whatcha Say” plays in the background. Livelihoods are threatened and sweet potato recipes are insulted. And by the end of the meal, about half of the guests have stormed away from the table. 

1. SEASON 1, EPISODE 9: “BLAIR WALDORF MUST PIE!”

The series’ first Thanksgiving episode set the bar high. Alternating between flashbacks to the year prior and the present, we are first introduced to Waldorf, Humphrey, and van der Woodsen family traditions that return in seasons to come. We see a vulnerable side of Blair, who spends the holiday without her father; secrets revealed amongst Rufus, Lily, and their families; and that, despite any feud, Blair and Serena always find their way back together when they need each other most.

Judianne Meredith

Wake Forest '25

My name is Judianne Meredith and I'm a junior at Wake Forest from River Vale, New Jersey. I am majoring in politics and international affairs with minors in journalism and anthropology. I love to write and am excited to be part of Her Campus to connect with college girls like me!