Pledge Night or High School Dance?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In recent years, Wake’s “Pledge Night” has gotten more than a little out of hand, and in response, the school tried to implicate a different way for all of the new members of Greek organizations to celebrate.  Friday night there was a semi-formal event hosted in the Reynolda covering several rooms, offering dance floors on multiple levels, an outside tent area, as well as two bars for those of age.  The chandeliers in the Mag Room were swaying as a huge showing of Greek and independent students came out to dance the night away.  Although many younger students were upset that they were losing the tradition of “Kiss Night,” I felt the event was a welcomed change.  It transformed what has in past years been a sloppy, out of control event into a classy night that was still an absolute blast.  Boys looked classy in blazers while girls rocked their chucks with dresses.  As a sort of “Greek Prom,” students enjoyed mixing organizations and spending time with the community as a whole.  I look forward to see if the administration will attempt to hold more events of this style.  I know I’d attend.

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.