This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s the friends we meet along the way that help us appreciate the journey  – unknown

To those who are my friends and will become my friends,

I grew up gawking in amazement at how highly my family members spoke of their college experience. Unlike some people, I actually believed them when they said it will be the best time of my life. Believe it or not, a young me dreamed my days away imagining what my college experience would be like. I wanted the relationship my parents had formed within their first year of college. This did not happen, but life goes on. I wanted to be like my cousin and travel the world with my old suitemates six years after graduating – pending. Most importantly, I wanted to find a group of individuals who I could consider my home away from home. Luckily, I found just that. Who would’ve thought I would grow so close to a group of strangers in 230 days? 

I know I didn’t.

I did not expect to feel so secure around a group of individuals who knew nothing more than my first name and social media handles in August. There has never been a moment when I have felt unsupported and ignored, so I would like to thank you. Because of you, I have been able to thrive as a freshman in college and not many people can say that. You have given me a reason to continue to strive for my initial goals and not let course load and my self doubt hinder me from progressing in life. You have taught me patience, care and have heightened my motherly instincts and that means the world to me – even if it did involve many nights of me taking care of you. I wouldn’t exchange it for the world. Because of you, I will be able to graduate in three years with a seasoned intelligence: I will be unstoppable in the world’s eyes. I do not know how to thank you all enough, but I look forward to growing and exploring the future with you and those we encounter along the way. And to my friends leaving, I am sad to watch you go, but I know you’ll still have a strong presence in my life even when you are miles upon miles away. I know you will continue to succeed in life and make me and the world happy. College is an important milestone in our lives, and no one knows you better than you. Your decision is valid and people are proud you were able to make the right choice. I wish you all the best of luck with the rest of your semester. You will blossom because you are you and that’s all a person needs in order to grow. I love you all and cannot wait to see what next year holds.

Love,

The extra spice that helps make everything nice

Makenna Dixon-Essien is your average Bay Area native who embraces her inner Martha Stewart, loves animals more than life, and lives in the clouds. She aspires to be the next Jane Goodall or George Schaller because who wouldn't. In her free time. . . just kidding she's pre-vet and has no free time. However, she enjoys spending the majority of her day socailizing, listening to music, and reading. She loves all things oragnic and wastes her summer Saturday's at the farmers market. You will always catch this girl laughing life away, especially when she has good company or a pup to play with. Fell free to leave comments and ask her questions, she is extremely friendly. :)  Follow her on twitter @makennade_ WFU '20 
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus