This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

New York Fashion Week has once again graced the world with fabulous clothes and a new direction for us to follow into the spring. So many beautiful pieces walked down the runway last week that it was hard to pick favorites. But I went through the major shows, like BCBG Max Azria, Jason Wu, Rebecca Minkoff, and more to find the styles they all had in common. I consistently found three trends that popped up throughout the week in multiple shows. So read up and prepare your closet for the upcoming season!

Pastels: Color is important. For winter we embraced red and other warm, rich colors; but, as the temperature rises, our colors fade. Spring 2014 fashion is filled with pastels! Incorporate it into all aspects of your outfit. You can do it with your clothes; pants, shirts, dresses, or in your accessories with necklaces and scarves. Check out J.Crew who has already fully embraced this color scheme!

Spring Knits: The next trend allows you to incorporate pastels in an adorable and fashionable way – spring knits! They are perfect for chilly nights (or for now) when it’s not quite as warm as we all would like. They come in all different patterns and colors and can work for many occasions. I love the loose fitting ones that you can throw over dresses or pair with skirts for a fun and flirty combination! You will be able to find these in stores like Anthropologie.

Wide Leg Pants: The last trend that swept the runway this year (literally) was wide leg trousers. This style isn’t for everyone but it works especially well for working women who need business casual clothes. You can also play around with this trend by finding them in denim or in a jumpsuit. Pair the pants with a crop top for a night out or a jacket for the office. An added plus for this trend is they are super comfortable! Free People offers a variety of wide legged pants in different fabrics and styles.

Can’t wait to see all the collegiettes that are going to rock these trends this spring. NYFW has nothing on us.

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.