person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Noah Rubin (’18)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Noah Rubin

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Long Island, N.Y.

Major: Undeclared

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Favorite Food: Steak

Favorite Athlete: Roger Federer

We were practically star-struck to interview Wake’s new tennis champion this week!  Find out why he chose Wake Forest for his undergrad years, and what he likes to do when he’s not busy on the court.  Meet this week’s Campus Cutie and Wimbledon star – Noah Rubin!

HC (Her Campus):  So before we talk about anything else, let’s talk about your tennis career.  How old were you when you started playing?

NR (Noah Rubin):  I was about one.  I actually have a picture of me in a diaper holding a tennis racket.

HC:  Aww, how cute!  Sounds like you are basically a pro at this point – speaking of which, are you actually a professional tennis player?

NR:  It’s kind of complicated, but in order to play for Wake Forest, I play under amateur status.  However, I play professional tournaments.

HC:  Sounds official!  So I heard rumors – were you the number one college recruit?

NR:  Yes, that’s true.  I was the number one recruit for colleges, and I was number six in the world for juniors, which is 18 years and under.

HC:  So what made you choose Wake?

NR:  I chose Wake because it has more of a personalized feel.  I really trust the coaches, I like the academics, and I just enjoy the atmosphere.

HC:  Don’t we all!  So do you have any game-time rituals?  Maybe a routine to pump you up or a good luck item?

NR:  I play one song before every tournament.  I usually listen to house music, but it varies each tournament.  The last one I listened to was “Jungle” by X Ambassadors.

HC:  I’m assuming practice takes up a lot of your time, but when you have time to spare, what are your other hobbies?

NR:  Well, I spend about three hours per day practicing and about two hours per day conditioning.  It’s a big time commitment, but I know it’s worth the effort.  I like to spend time with my friends and my girlfriend most days, but I also have a passion for photography.

HC:  Tell me about that!

NR:  Well, I’ve traveled the world my whole life.  I started taking pictures with my iPhone, and then I thought, “These places are so beautiful.  I might as well get a real camera.”  Ever since then, it’s been a developing passion of mine.  My friends make fun of me, but I have an Instagram page where I post my photography.

HC:  I’m sure readers would love to see your work!  What is the username?

NR:  @nrubinphotography

HC:  Can’t wait to check it out! So how would you describe yourself in three words?

NR:  Athletic, independent, and outgoing.

HC:  And who is your celebrity crush?

NR:  Emily DiDonato.  My dad and I love her.

HC:  Now I know you have a girlfriend, but what kinds of things do you look for/admire in a girl?

NR:  Humor is number one, followed by common sense.  I really like when they have the ability to get active with me, like going walking, playing tennis, or going to the beach.

HC:  Do you and your girlfriend ever play tennis?

NR:  Yes, but she got injured a while ago, so not as frequently.  I’d say I have enough tennis in my life, but I still play with her occasionally.

HC:  What turns you off about a girl?

NR:  It turns me off when girls try to act ditzy to be cute.  I also don’t like it when girls aren’t open to new experiences, because it makes it harder to relate [to them] since I am more of an adventurous person.

HC:  That’s understandable.  How would you describe your style?

NR:  Actually, my girlfriend wants to go to school to study fashion in New York, so she has been helping me out with my style.  I definitely wear athletic clothes a lot, but when I’m not busy with tennis, I wear khakis, jeans, button downs, and V-necks.  I guess I just have a classic style.

HC:  And it looks like you like to rock jewelry too!  What does your necklace say?

NR:  Oh this?  This says Wimbledon.  I got this when I won the tournament a couple of months ago.

HC:  No way!  I feel like I’m talking to a celebrity!

NR:  (Laughs) I actually made my decision to go to Wake Forest the Friday after I won. 

HC: Well I think I can speak for all of Wake Forest when I say that we’re glad you chose here!  So what are three things that you can’t live without?

NR:  I can’t live without travel, my camera, and my girlfriend.

HC:  How romantic!  Speaking of that, what is your idea of a perfect date?

NR:  To me, a perfect date would be a long cruise around Europe.

HC:  And is there a motto you live or play by?

NR:  Yes.  I always say that you know you’re on the right track when you become uninterested in looking back. 

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.