No time? Snag these DIY Halloween Costume ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As the pressure of schoolwork begins to pile up, finding an excuse to leave the library and take a break from studying becomes increasingly difficult. With the holidays quickly approaching, joining in on community activities can be more stress inducing than fun for students, and Halloween is no exception. Making a trip to Party City, searching the internet for Halloween inspiration, and planning a group costume with friends can be both time consuming, and expensive for busy college students. If finding the perfect outfit for Halloween festivities seems impossible, these last minute, low-budget costume ideas can help you put together a cute look from the comfort of your dorm room.

1. Stylish Skeleton Tee.

All you need is tape, scissors, and a white t-shirt to create this simple yet adorable ribcage costume. Simply place the tape from collar to hem down the center of the shirt and cut 12 slits on each side of the tape, giving about an inch of space between each cut. To create the look of ribs, make longer cuts in between two rows of shorter cuts at the top and bottom of each side. Finally, lightly stretch each cut to widen the “ribs.” Wear over a tank top or bralette and bottoms of your choice, to complete this edgy and effortless Halloween look.

2. Rosie the Riveter.

Try out the denim-on-denim trend with pieces you can find in your own closet. To create this classic look for Halloween, wear a blue tee or denim shirt with your favorite jeans or denim shorts, and pair a red bandana with a ponytail, braid, or bun. Finish off your look with red lipstick and winged eyeliner to fully channel the 1940s American icon.

3. Boxer.

Who cares if you haven’t been to the gym in weeks? All you need for this cool, sporty costume are spandex shorts, a sports bra, and double Dutch braids. As an extra touch, apply a dark smokey eyeshadow on the upper and lower lid to imitate a black eye. To beat other costumes to the punch, pair this look with gloves and a silk robe or kimono.

4. Wake Forest Fraternity Brother.

Go full Greek with this simple and clever frat look. Simply wear a sports jersey, dress shirt, or pastel polo with khaki shorts and a backwards baseball cap and opt for wayfarer-style sunglasses for an extra fraternity flare. Also, don’t forget to show off your letters.

Neely is currently a sophomore at Wake Forest University and is planning to double major in art history and english. Aside from writing and focusing on her studies, she is a member of Kappa Beta Gamma sorority.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.