This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

YA Fantasy

1. How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories by Holly Black

Released: November 24, 2020

A continuation of Holly Black’s highly acclaimed “Cruel Prince” trilogy features this brand new novella from the point of view of a different protagonist in the series. Follow Cardan through his experiences before, during, and after the events of the trilogy!

2. Lightbringer by Claire Legrand

Released: October 13, 2020

The final book in Legrand’s “Empirium” trilogy wraps up the stories of the two fated queens, Rielle and Eliana. Starting with Furyborn, follow the two women who live 1000 years apart as one fades into madness and the other rises to the occasion, saving not only herself but the entire world.

Suspense/Thriller

3. Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam

Released: October 6, 2020

This stand-alone novel, written before the coronavirus pandemic, forces two families to survive together in the midst of a citywide blackout. How will these complete strangers survive together when the news of the city leaves them in a panic?

4. When No One Is Watching by Alyssa Cole

Released: October 1, 2020

When Sydney’s Brooklyn neighborhood undergoes a revitalization project, she begins a walking tour in an effort to preserve the community’s history. But what will happen when she develops a friendship with her secretive neighbor, Theo, and discovers a secret conspiracy and missing neighbors?

High Fantasy

5. Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse

Released: October 13, 2020

The first novel of Roanhorse’s new “Between Earth and Sky” trilogy, follows the epic adventures of Xiala and other unforgettable characters during a rare celestial event.

6. Piranesi by Susanna Clarke

Released: September 15, 2020

Piranesi finds himself in an alternate reality, struggling to come to terms with an unknown visitor and an unforeseen world beyond the one he lives in.

7. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab

Released: October 6, 2020

Addie LaRue desperately wants to leave a mark on the world, but how can she when she’s cursed to live forever and be remembered by no one. Her journey becomes complicated when, after 300 years of life, Addie happens upon someone who remembers her name.

Historical Fiction

8. Fifty Words for Rain by Asha Lemmie

Released: September 1, 2020

In post-World War 2 Japan, the daughter of a Japanese aristocrat and African American soldier struggles for acceptance and freedom when her grandparents hide her away in their attic.

9. A Rogue of One’s Own by Evie Dunmore

Released: September 1, 2020

Feminist and Oxford suffragist Lucie tries not to let her hatred for, and possible attraction to, her childhood nemesis get in the way of fulfilling the suffragists’ dream of controlling a major publishing house.

Nature Writing

10. World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments by Aimee Nezhukumatahil

Released: September 8, 2020

In this collection of essays, Nezhukumatahil inspires us to find beauty and love in the strangest places while encouraging us to appreciate all the world has to offer.

11. Earth Keeper: Reflections on the American Land by N. Scott Momaday

Released: November 3, 2020

Momaday reflects on his native heritage and the lands he grew up on. Follow along to his childhood stories, as well as his journey to acceptance and feeling of belonging to the “American land.”

Psychological Fiction

12. What Are You Going Through by Sigrid Nunez

Released: September 8, 2020

A woman recounts interactions with people she’s met during her life, finding that what people inevitably need is someone to talk to. As the woman plays the passive listener, she is drawn into a life-changing experience by one of her “subjects.”

13. Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi

Released: September 1, 2020

The daughter of a Ghanaian family, Gifty seeks answers to her family’s loss and suffering. But will she be able to reconcile her studies at Stanford School of Medicine with her childhood evangelical beliefs, or will they leave her more confused and lost than ever?

Real Societal Issues

14. Can’t Even: How Millennials Became The Burnout Generation by Anne Helen Peterson

Released: September 22, 2020

Peterson analyzes how millennials got to the point of constant burnout by examining the effects of social media, labor laws, parental relationships, etc. Through a combination of interviews and analysis awaits a deeper understanding of the burnout generation.

15. Just Us: An American Conversation by Claudia Rankine

Released: September 8, 2020

Essays, poems, and images combine into a powerful message about white supremacy and what it takes to keep others in a room together so that difficult conversations can be had.

Madi Miller

Wake Forest '23

I am from Raleigh, North Carolina, and I'm currently a junior majoring in Business and Enterprise Management with a concentration in International Business at Wake Forest University. I love photography, reading, road trips, Marvel movies, and volleyball! I hope to put myself out of my comfort zone and push beyond my boundaries in writing and creativity, and I am excited for this opportunity with Her Campus WFU!
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.