jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Favorite Four Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

By: Ariana Torres

Fall is quickly approaching, despite North Carolina weather telling us differently. The fall trends from the New York Fashion Show 2019 and from many of my favorite designers and celebrity icons will make you excited for the season. Here are five fall fashion trends that you need to get on board with right now:

1) The Itty Bitty Bag

The Itty Bitty handbag, commonly seen in the early 90s, is back and better than ever for fall 2019. New York Fashion Week 2019 displayed a variety of tiny handbags by designers, such as Simon Jacquesmus, Salvatore Ferragamo, Chloé, Alexander McQueen, Brandon Maxwell and so many more. Some of the purses seem impractically tiny, but this adds to the charm that many celebrities adore about it. Jacquesmus, a famous French designer, started the trend with his trending 2-inch minimalist handbag, which quickly gained attention from fashion icons, like Rhianna and Kim Kardashian-West. 

2) Satin

Another 90s favorite, satin clothing has appeared to be growing popular once again, and it is now available from a wider variety of brands. Major designers such as Versace, Christopher Kane, and Brandon Maxwell showed off their satin dresses and blouses at New York Fashion Week 2019. Satin trousers, bras, dresses, and blouses are also available from many more affordable brands, such as Top Shop, Zara, Free People, and PrettyLittleThing. Satin is a personal favorite of mine because it is so easy to pair with simplistic items that are already sitting in your wardrobe.

3) Elongated Coats

Who doesn’t love a long cozy coat for the cold weather? (I am from the midwest, so I do!) Coats with extremely long hems appeared all over New York Fashion Week 2019, most notably from designers Tory Burch, Chanel, Alberta Ferretti, and Jil Sander. Many of the coats presented were statement pieces, consisting of heavy wool and outrageous designs. However, the elongated coat trend can be more casual, with variation in material and design, as seen with Free People’s Sweet Melody Trench Coat and even Lulu Lemon’s Smooth Departure Jacket. 

4) Below-the-Knee Boots

A comfortable pair of boots is a must- have during any fall season, but below-the-knee boots are a major fashion trend for fall 2019. Hailey Bieber sparked all the rage with her Jacquesmus below-the-knee white silhouette boots, paired with a long t-shirt dress. This style is not completely new, as variations of this style have been seen by Ariana Grande, Kylie Jenner, Priyanka Chopra, and so on. These long-styled boots come in a variety of colors, textures, and lengths, which allows for a diverse selection to fit your personal style and wardrobe.

Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University