This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The weekend of January 19th was a traumatic time for members of the Wake Forest community. As we heal and move forward there will be a lot of opportunities for conversation and community building. Here are 4 ways to move forward.

1. Identify your present state. Ask yourself how do you feel about the events that occured? Where are you in your healing process? Sad, angry, disappointed, hurt and other emotions are all valid to your experience. It’s okay to not be okay! Don’t suppress your emotions.

2. Ask yourself and be honest about what you need. Do you need time away from everyone to cry? Take it. Do you need to build a community around yourself? Gather your friends, family and loved ones close. Do you need to be active? Go take a yoga or spin class. Feel comfortable and confident in taking what you need in order to move on.

3. Have conversations with others, ones that experienced the traumatic event with you. Build community with others who have been impacted in the same or in a similar way as you were. You can help heal each other because you all experienced it together and have insight as to what you need to help each other move forward.

4. Seek outside help if you need it. Seeking a counselor and therapy is always an option. They have the tools, resources and expertise to help you achieve peace and resolution. Wake Forest’s counseling center is open to students who need or want counseling Monday – Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm and crisis counseling is available 24/7/365 by calling 336-758-5273.

Hopefully these tips help you move forward and promote healing wherever you are in your process.

Mia Wilson

Wake Forest

Mia Wilson is a senior English and French double major at Wake Forest University. When not in class or studying frantically, she enjoys working out in the gym, catching up on the latest fashion trends and napping. Her hobbies include traveling, her Maltese Nahla and drinking Starbucks. Catch her on Instagram @mwilson__14
Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!