This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Mars, Inc. is kicking off their M&M rebrand just in time for this Sunday’s Super Bowl kickoff and commercial extravaganza.

The cartoon characters used to market the chocolate bites are all getting fresh personas and a whole new plotline. The general narrative is changing from one of self-deprecating humor to one encouragement of a more inclusive world to “better reflect today’s society.”

The green and brown M&Ms are abandoning their sexist tropes to now become a “force supporting women, together throwing shine and not shade.” Green is dropping the “Ms.” title to de-emphasize gender while also trading in her high heels for some sneakers. This change reflects a shift in focus from sex appeal to confidence, in which she is a “strong female known for much more than her boots.” Ms. Brown is only losing a few inches on her pumps but is focusing on her portrayal as the “brainy, powerful CEO type.”

The yellow and orange M&Ms will be displaying a more emotional side of the franchise. Yellow, having played the role of the least bright in the group, slow to pick up on jokes and catch onto punchlines in commercials, will now become the optimist of the group. Yellow embraces “wisdom in his own right and forces us to see the world as it should be.” In contrast, Orange will associate more with the downfall of the Gen-Z generation, known as the most anxious generation. 

While Orange will learn to face his anxieties, Red will become more of a team player. Formerly the overbearing alpha of the group, Red’s personality will soon give space for each M&M to “shine as their own star.”

While these new personalities for the anthropomorphic candies reflect a more welcoming and progressive tone, the recent changes beg the question: Do we as consumers care? Do we instead want to eat Orange M&Ms to relieve our anxieties, rather than be reminded of them? With these more nuanced human-like qualities, do we still want to eat M&Ms?

Tucker Carlson, a Fox News host known for his propensity to rant about the “liberal woke agenda,” seems less concerned about whether you can still eat M&Ms and more about whether you could have a… drink with them?

On his talk show the other night, Carlson seemed particularly triggered by the redesign of the M&M cartoons, especially the changes in the female characters. In a monologue that not even SNL writers could have dreamed up, Carlson raged about how “M&Ms will not be satisfied until every last cartoon character is deeply unappealing and androgynous. Until the moment you wouldn’t want to have a drink with any of them. That’s the goal.”

The real goal is a revived commitment to inclusion and global belonging, according to a Mars Inc. Statment. The company cites studies that “show our desire to belong is as strong as our desire to be loved, and that desire is common for all people irrespective of culture, race, ethnicity, geography or location.” To highlight this global and cross-cultural desire for connection, the brand is adding emphasis to its logo’s ampersand as a symbol of the company’s commitment to unity. The accompanying new characters will also use storytelling to focus on the importance of self-expression and community.

To back this mission behind the scenes, the Mars umbrella company has created an M&M’s FUNd to offer resources, mentorship, opportunities, and financial support in the arts & entertainment sector. This fund aims to “help ensure people have access to experiences where everyone feels they belong.” Furthermore, they have committed to gender-balanced leadership teams and independent annual audits of the company’s diversity in advertising.

Whether these button-shaped treats will affect change and inclusion in our society is yet to be determined, but M&Ms are making a point that they are part of the modern conversation surrounding equality and inclusion. 

If anything, the buzz around the brand might captivate the Super Bowl audience to pay attention during the commercials this Sunday and overall drive sales for the candy conglomerate. 

Emily Hellwig

Wake Forest '23

My name is Emily Hellwig and I am a junior from Lexington, Virginia. I am Politics and International Affairs major with minors in Communication and Spanish, pursuing a career in Public Relations. I am a redhead with a soul, avid feminist, and lover of Pepsi, the deacs, dancing, and podcasts (in that order).