The Midterm Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Collegiettes, it’s that time of year again. You suddenly can’t find a spot in the library. The Starbucks line is constantly out the door. Cute summer dresses have been replaced with leggings and oversized tops. Instead of sunbathing on the quad it’s all study, all the time. Yup, it’s midterms.

*Image from CollegeCandy.com

This infamous time of year right before fall break marks the point when the semester really gets grueling. Three tests, three papers, and a lab report all in two days can suddenly become the norm, along with all-nighters and your first time trying caffeine pills.

But don’t fret collegiettes! There are lots of ways to beat the midterm blues.

1. First off, use your support system. When you feel like you simply can’t look at your chem homework for one more minute, call up a best friend, your mom, a sibling (whoever is really good at cheering you up). Take a short mental break to gab away on the phone for fifteen to twenty minutes. This is a great way to de-stress and quickly get back to work feeling rejuvenated.
  1. Second, a great way to de-stress is to hit the gym. A short run or jog releases endorphins and other “feel good” hormones to naturally boost your mood. Whenever you start seeing double of that double-spaced paper, lace up your running shoes for a short workout to burn some calories and pump up your mood.

*Image from InfinitelifeFitness.com

1. Third, if you are really craving a study snack make sure to grab a healthy option. You are already doing a lot of sitting and sitting and sitting while you study, so extra carbs are not what you need right now. Instead, grab a snack that will keep you full like apples and peanut butter or carrots and hummus. If you really want something sweet don’t overindulge, you will just crash even harder when that sugar high wears off.
  1. And finally, keep in mind, when you look good you feel good! Don’t forget to take care of yourself this week. Something special like a lavender body wash is a great way to relax and indulge. And although those old sweats are super comfy for studying, make sure to look your best during your test. It will make you feel confident and put-together, a great mindset for getting those “A’s”. Dress well, test well!

So there you have it! A pretty straightforward guide to beating those midterm blues. Don’t let yourself get too stressed out…remember, it is just a test, not the end of the world! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.