Melodic Mumblings: Procrastination Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Happy Monday, collegiettes! Now that Fall Break is over, we find ourselves returning to the stereotypical lifestyle of a Wake Forest student. Our days are full of tiring classes intermixed with coffee runs and, most likely, cramming for pop quizzes or finishing up that 30-page reading. After a “not-long-enough” afternoon nap, you wind up in the library for a good portion of the night. If you’re like me, you may often find yourself sitting at a sixth floor study table surrounded by people that are being much more productive than you. I’m continuously sucked into iTunes or Spotify, searching for new music and never realize how much time I’m actually wasting. However, all of this procrastination has allowed me to comprise a personal list of “should-be” Top 10 singles. These are my personal choices and my only hope is that these songs and artists are recognized but, most importantly, for more people to start procrastinating as much as I do in the library. So, collegiates – here they are!

1. “Tokyo Sunrise” – LP

Really, Laura Pergolizzi’s (aka LP) “Into the Wild,” EP is so incredibly amazing it was hard to choose one song. She is a singer-songwriter that released this EP within the last year. She mainly worked as songwriter for big name artists like Rihanna and the Backstreet Boys, but recently has broken into belting out her own songs. Everyone should be happy about this. Her voice soars and howls in every song, it leaves you wondering if it’s even real. 

2. “Team” – Lorde

This song may be on most of y’alls radar, but personally I think it’s even better than “Royals.” The beat within the first minute is so catchy and makes you want to blare your radio while driving 80 down Silas Creek Parkway. Not to mention this girl is 16. Enough said.

3. “Wait for Me” – Kings of Leon

One of the early singles Kings of Leon released is arguably their catchiest song on their new album “Mechanical Bull.” It may not sound like classic Kings of Leon, (listen to “Fans” or “The Bucket” and you won’t be disappointed) but the band has been reforming their sound since their 2008 “Only By the Night” album. This song, and most of their new album, is a nice balance between classic KOL and their more recent pop-rock sound.

4. “Thunder Clatter” – Wild Cub

This song is pure joy to listen to. There are xylophones, clapping and drumming all within the first 30 seconds. Not to mention this song is prime sing-along material. Bonus: You can’t help but dance to this song. Go download it. 

5. “Whiskey Sunsets” – Moon Taxi

Who remembers last year when there was a barbecue and Moon Taxi played FOR FREE on the steps of the library?? Do you recall seeing a tiny freshman bopping along to the songs in the front row, belting out every word? That girl was me. I was so pumped when I heard these guys were coming to Wake but, I was also pretty frustrated that very few people had even heard of them! I’ve seen them live three times now and they never disappoint. Using a five-piece band, they craft intelligent and intricate songs that are never repetitive.

6. “Come a Little Closer” – Cage the Elephant

This song, released from their most recent album “Melophobia,” has shockingly only generated minimal buzz throughout the radio world. I never hear any songs from the album on a top rock radio station! I hope that even a few readers will appreciate this band’s unique relaxed rock/jam band sound. I like comparing them to the Flaming Lips if that gives you a sense of their sound.

7. “Airplanes” – Local Natives

This band creates some of the most complicated and terrific melodies I’ve ever listened to. This song in particular builds up to the melody from its start. They form their songs utilizing every instrument and vocal ability the band possesses, and they constantly create innovative and ingenious songs that deserve to be noticed.

8. “Power Hungry Animals” – Apache Relay

If you like the folk aspect of Mumford and Sons but the blasting energy Arcade Fire brings to their songs, you will love this band as much as I do. I first heard this song in the movie The Way, Way Back this past summer. Ever since then, I can’t stop listening to this band. You can listen to their songs when you are in any mood: either preparing for a night out or casually “fake” studying in Starbucks. 

9. “Miracle Mile” – Cold War Kids

When I found out Cold War Kids sang this song, my mouth literally fell open in shock. For those of you not familiar with the band, go compare their first hit “Hang Me Up to Dry,” to this song. You will then understand my disbelief. Regardless, this song proves how talented this LA based band is. They continue to prove that they can break into any music genre, may it be grunge/indie or pop/alternative. 

10. “Save Rock and Roll” – Fall Out Boy

So, yes, I did include a Fall Out Boy song on here. I may be reminiscing of my eighth grade glory days, but I have no shame. I can confidently say that this song, along with most of the old Fall Out Boy songs, is genuinely a good song. This song in particular is similar to their more rock heavy albums that impressed audiences with killer guitar/drum skills paired with innovative lyrics. However, this song has Elton John in it, which instantly makes anything great. 

There you go collegiates! This list, of course, changes daily and is just my personal choices but I encourage y’all to take what you will! Happy listening and remember – procrastination is always the best form of learning. 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.