Melodic Mumblings: 5 best Pandora playlists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

There are few things that bring more joy to a college student than when we’re in the mood to jam and our playlists keeps playing songs that are right on the money. However, cultivating that perfect playlist on iTunes or Spotify can take a lot of time and effort. I think we can all agree that we don’t have ample amounts of free time.

Now, I’m sure many of you all have already discovered the magic that is Pandora. But, if you’ve been living under a rock you’re entire life, I’ll fill you in. Pandora allows you to type in an artist, song or genre and the site generates a playlist based on that preference. This is literally magic. It’s weird how Pandora just seems to get you and your mood sometimes. It also helps that there is a “like” and “dislike” button, which allows you to fine-tune your jam sessions. There are tons of stations that seem create just killer playlists, and I’ve decided to share some of my favorites with all you in this weeks’ music blog! Listen up and enjoy!

1. Ellie Goulding

This is one of my most recent station additions. I was feeling in the mood for some awesome techno-serenading. To my delight some great choices were made.

What You’ll Hear: Some of the songs played were “Counting Stars” by One Republic, “Dog Days are Over” by Florence and the Machine, “Spectrum” by Zedd, and of course some of the greats by Ms. Goulding herself.

Similar Artists: Imagine Dragons, Calvin Harris and Lana del Rey.

When to Listen: At a low decibel, you can casually listen to this station while hanging out in your room. However, if you have a killer stereo system, this is a great pump up playlist for a Friday night. 

1. Just a Kiss

There are times when I can’t help my female inclinations and I just need to listen to some corny love songs. So I started a “Just a Kiss” by Lady Antebellum radio and got a great string of songs worthy of a Nicholas Sparks movie.

What You’ll Hear: “A Thousand Years by Christina Perri,” “Drunk on You” by Luke Bryan, and “The Only Exception” by Paramore.

Similar Artists: Jason Mraz, Sara Bareilles, Christina Perry and Parachute

When to Listen: When you need a little reassurance that a good guy will come along eventually. Or those casual wine nights with your girls.

1. Avicii

I think it’s pretty safe to say that “Wake Me Up” has become the frat song of the year. I can’t seem to go anywhere on any night without hearing it. But there are other songs out there just as good that haven’t yet been completely overplayed! And this Pandora station is a good place to find them.

What You’ll Hear: Pretty much any techno-dance song. You’ll hear all the beats that make the ladies want to dance in a basement of a frat.

Similar Artists: Armin Van Buuren, Sebastian Ingrosso & Alesso, Avicii & Nicky Romero and Calvin Harris

When to Listen: When you want to party. #Frat

1. *Nsync

Feeling in the mood for some 90’s throwbacks? This is the perfect station to relive the tunes of your childhood and who doesn’t want to listen to some baby JT?

What You’ll Hear: The classic hits sung by the classic bands: a little Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls and of course some vintage Britney Spears.

Similar Artists: Backstreet Boys (duh), Justin Timberlake (older version) and New Kids on the Block

When to Listen: Definitely in the shower. Or if you’re ever in a bad mood and you need a pick me up – this is good belting music and is sure to lift your spirits.

1. Mozart

Now before you think I’ve totally lost my mind on this one, hear me out. When I try to study and listen to music at the same time I always find myself getting distracted by the lyrics, but at the same time I can’t focus in absolute silence. Classical music is a great medium that allows for background music but isn’t too overwhelming.

What You’ll Hear: Music that will make you think you’re European. And you’ll believe you’re smarter

Similar Artists: Johann Sebastian Bach, Ludwig van Beethoven, Antonio Vivaldi

When to Listen: Studying for that big exam or relaxing just before bed. 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.