Wellness

Meditation: Finding a Couple Minutes of Me Time in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

During my freshman year amidst the Pandemic, I discovered how wonderful meditating is and how it sets up your day for success. I was always very anxious because of the constant stress that came with COVID-19. Meditating was a simple way to center myself in the morning and calm me down before I got into my day.

Simply spending five to ten minutes in the morning meditating can drastically change how you feel. The Calm app is a great resource that makes meditating very easy. There are numerous different types of meditations. I love to do the “daily meditation” in the morning when I wake up. Tamara Levitt, the woman who talks about “daily meditation”, always has simple messages that get you thinking about what is important in life and what you should truly be focusing your efforts and energy on. For example, a recent meditation I listened to talked about being gentle with yourself when starting New Year’s Resolutions.

It is extremely common for people to make New Year’s Resolutions that are drastic and virtually impossible. Therefore, when a person fails in any way, they feel like a failure and completely give up on their New Year’s Resolutions. Being gentle with yourself and starting small with specific steps towards your New Year’s Resolutions can be much more effective than just setting crazy goals for yourself. Hearing this message in my meditation helped me feel better about myself and the goals that I had set for the New Year. This example is only one time when my thought patterns were radically changed by taking a couple of minutes to focus on a simple meditation message.

Additionally, meditating in the morning helps you learn to be okay with doing nothing and just being one with your thoughts and yourself. In the technological age we live in, it is common to always want to be stimulated and entertained. With the swipe of a finger, we can scroll endlessly on Tik Tok and other apps on our phones. However, there is value in just relaxing and focusing on yourself and how you are truly doing and feeling. 

Jen Schretter

Wake Forest '24

Hi. I'm Jen Schretter. I am a Senior at Wake Forest University and am Co-CC/President of HerCampus. I love to write about mental health and ways to persevere through the tough times that students deal with at College. Outside of Her Campus, I love to dance, spend time with friends, and go on walks in nature.