Marcus Lauria (‘16)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Marcus Lauria
Year: Sophomore
Hometown: West Chester, Pa.
Relationship Status: Single
Major: Physics
Minor: Math and possibly Middle Eastern and South Asia Studies (MESA)
Personal Motto: The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret

HC (Her Campus): So you’re a member of ROTC. What’s that like?
ML (Marcus Lauria): I love it—it’s definitely a huge time commitment though. We workout three to five days a week in the morning, have classes every week, and a lab where we perform military skills. It’s just been a great experience so far…I was in Africa over the summer for an ROTC program, which was insane. We trained with the Togolese military and helped them learn conversational English for a month.

HC: What influenced your decision to take part in ROTC?
ML: My dad was on track to be a Navy SEAL but had an accident that kept him out of it, so he’s instilled those values in me. When I began to research ROTC my junior year of high school I realized very quickly that it was the path I wanted to take. My older sister did it and my best friend from home is in it now too, which is really cool.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?
ML: I’m the process of becoming a member of Pi Kappa Alpha right now. I’m also a captain on the club basketball team—that’s was always my sport throughout high school. So those and ROTC are the three big things I’m involved in.

HC: So what’s a typical day like for you?
ML: I wake up around 5:30 a.m., go to PT (physical training) at 6 a.m., workout, study or do some last second homework, go to class, usually go workout again either at the ROTC department or the Miller Center, and then study.

HC: So it seems like you are a pretty athletic guy. Do you have a more sensitive side?
ML: I mean, I am definitely a huge Taylor Swift fan and a lot of my buddies mess with me for that. But I wouldn’t actually say I’m too, too sensitive.

HC: Now for the stuff everyone really wants to know—what qualities do you look for in a girl?
ML: For me, the number one quality is a girl who is really into fitness. Also someone who understands my sense of humor, and definitely a really nice smile.

HC: What normally makes for a good first impression of a girl?
ML: Someone who is outgoing and who can make me laugh right away.

HC: What are three adjectives you would use to describe yourself?
ML: I’d say outgoing, hardworking, and funny.

HC: What is something people might be surprised to know about you?
ML: I have never had a girlfriend…that’s a good one. I played a lot of basketball in high school so I guess I never had time for that or found the right girl. I’m also kind of a big science nerd sometimes.

HC: What is your biggest pet peeve?
ML: People complaining when they have no reason to be complaining. I feel like most people here are in a very good position and sometimes take a lot of stuff for granted.

HC: Who has been the most influential person in your life?
ML: Definitely my dad. I mean, since I could walk he had a basketball in my hand and made sure I was knocking out absurd amounts of pushups every day. He’s the one person I can always talk to no matter what is going on.

HC: What is one thing you want to do before you graduate?
ML: It would be really cool to take home first place at the ROTC Ranger Challenge Competition, which is like a big physical competition with events for tons of different military skills. We compete against all the ROTC programs in the surrounding states.

HC: Where is the coolest place you have ever traveled? What’s your dream destination?
ML: Definitely Africa. It was an awesome experience to be around the Togo military for 30 days. One place that would be really cool to go is Paris.

HC: Okay, now a couple of short questions. What’s your go-to pick-up line?
ML: Um, I don’t really think I have a go-to pick-up line.

HC: (Laughs) That might be a good thing. Favorite off campus spot?
ML: Chipotle because that’s really the only place I go to eat off campus.

HC: Ideal first date?
ML: Maybe I’m kind of boring but I guess just like going to dinner somewhere and then going back home and to watch a movie and hang out.

HC: Favorite workout?
ML: My favorite workout is a CrossFit workout titled “Nasty Girls.” It’s three rounds of 50 air squats, seven muscle-ups and 10 power cleans.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Do you see a plan for the rest of your life?
ML: If everything works out like I want it to, I’ll be an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers and hopefully be married.

Eliza Cushman

Wake Forest

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.