The Many Emotions of the First Week of School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The second week of classes has officially ended, marked by the permanent ring of condensation from my coffee cup. August 27th was my last first day of classes and I was still very much in summer mode. I had this idealized version of what senior year would be, and it was immediately dashed by the copious amount of reading and writing assigned on the first day. At Work Forest, syllabus week is somewhat nonexistent. Suffice to say, summer was over, and it was time to get to work. Syllabus week is an emotional time and below, I have encapsulated an accurate representation of every emotion felt during that first week of class.

As my professors handed out the syllabi, a shot of adrenaline surged through my body. I believe some would call what I was experiencing as fear.

As I left my one hour and fifteen-minute class to head over and sit through two more one hour and fifteen-minute classes, I gave myself a pep talk.

It was the first week of classes, but I think I consumed more coffee in a week than I did all summer. It’s almost pavlovian, I hear the world school and immediately need to drink the biggest cup of coffee I can find.

I finally shed one last tear for the remainder of summer and came to the daunting realization that my last year in college had officially begun.

Lauren Freedman

Wake Forest '19

Lauren Freedman is a senior at Wake Forest University double majoring in English and Communication. She is a Features Editor for Her Campus Wake Forest and covers fashion, beauty, and wellness as a writer.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.