Wellness

Let’s Talk About Gratitude: Why You Should Be Grateful and Not Hateful in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

One of the most important concepts that I have tried to keep close to my heart and in my mind throughout the past few years, but especially this year, has been gratitude. Although this year has been tough for so many of us, it may seem easy to forget amidst the chaos of our daily lives how lucky we are to simply be alive. I believe that no matter the situation, at the end of the day, there is always something to be grateful for. Each day since the pandemic, I have tried to practice gratitude by taking 5 seconds right when I wake up in the morning and immediately think of something I am grateful for. 

I have found that selflessness stems from gratitude in a way. Being selfless not only means putting others first, but it also means keeping others in mind despite your individual circumstances. I cannot stress enough the importance of being mindful of what is happening around the world and in our close communities, our families, and our social circles. In today’s world, ignorance is not bliss. Keeping those who are less fortunate than us in mind and taking action to help those people is something that builds character and a strong sense of self. Having a safe, supportive, and prestigious academic community to be a part of at Wake Forest is something that we all should be extraordinarily grateful for in and of itself.

In all honesty, this year has been far from ideal and I have found myself complaining and dragging along with me a negative energy more often than not. Although complaining is something that is natural to do when you are not pleased with an outcome or situation, try to focus on gratitude instead; this is something that has helped improve my mentality and outlook on this year. Be thankful and appreciative of all the people who have come in and out of your life, and those who have impacted you in a positive way. Spread light and positivity, and radiate gratitude and happiness from within; it is so easily noticeable.

Additionally, you never know what an individual is going through behind closed doors. Make an effort to make someone else smile! Focusing on your life and how you can make a difference in someone else’s life will result in endless opportunities. Be grateful for the simple tasks in life and the challenging ones. Trials and tribulations only make you a more experienced and mature individual. Never forget where you came from, and the people who have been there for you through it all. Keep your loved ones by your side, and be grateful for those who care for you. Whether it’s for the roof over your head, the food you’ve been given to eat, or even tonight’s sunset…be grateful. You never know when one day might be your last, or when these things or moments in time will no longer be available to you. I encourage you to focus more on gratitude and positivity as we continue to navigate through 2020…despite the trials and tribulations it has caused us or may continue to cause us. 

For more inspiration, check out my personal blog at sightsbyshay.org

Shayna Smith

Wake Forest '23

Shayna is a current sophomore at Wake Forest University located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Shayna is an intended Business and Enterprise Management major with a concentration in Marketing and a Communications minor. In her free time, she enjoys yoga and cooking but is passionate about both writing and interior design. Living close to Washington, D.C has given her an appreciation for the arts, especially music and creative writing. After graduation, I plan on working in the real estate industry.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.