This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Jake SpringerHometown: Bethesda, Md.Year: SophomoreMajor: BiologyMinors: Chemistry and psychologyFavorite vacation spot: Somewhere by the beach

He’s laidback and cares a lot about his family – what more do you need in a guy? Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Jake Springer

HC (Her Campus): So tell me something random about yourself.JS (Jake Springer): My dad was in the Navy so I’ve kind of lived all over the place. I was born in California and I’ve lived in Spain, Philadelphia, Florida and then D.C. most of my life.

HC: What was it like having to move all the time?JS: I’ve moved everywhere besides D.C. all before third grade, so I was so young I didn’t really get to appreciate all the different places.  But it was just cool to move around and do different things with my family.

HC: What are you looking forward to most about spring break?JS: Just hanging out with my friends, playing golf, going to the beach, meeting up with some other friends – we’re going to Naples, then we’re visiting friends in Tampa and Miami.

HC: What would you say is your dream spring break?JS: I really wanted to go to Honduras for spring break with Students Helping Honduras but unfortunately my parents thought it was too dangerous, which is too bad. It seemed like a really fun thing to do. A few older kids whom I’m friends with are gonna go, which would have been fun – just hanging out with them. But unfortunately it fell through.

HC: What are you involved with on campus?JS: I’m a big brother for Big Brothers Big Sisters and I play intramural sports. I’ve played soccer and basketball – just whatever the season is.

HC:  So what do you like to do on the weekends?JS: Just hang out with my friends, go to parties. We go hiking sometimes which is actually a lot of fun, like to Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock. It’s a blast.

HC: How did you pick your major?JS: I came to Wake thinking I wanted to be a wildlife biologist but I’ve kind of gravitated more and more towards pre-med.

HC: So do you really like animals?JS: Yeah, I like animals – just wildlife and the outdoors in general.

HC: What would you say is your spirit animal?JS: Probably some sort of dog. I love dogs a lot. Any popular animal I guess, like dolphins or gazelles. Probably a puppy though.

HC: Do you have any pets?JS: I have a Portuguese water dog who’s about 5 years old – Gracie. She’s the prettiest girl in the world.

HC: Aw, that’s sweet. So what’s your type in girls?JS: I don’t really have a type but I just like funny, cute girls – girls who are easy to talk to. I also like athletic girls.

HC: Describe a great date.JS: Probably something pretty laidback, like a picnic or something, nothing too fancy. Maybe going for a hike – something pretty causal.

HC: What’s the cutest thing a girl can do?JS: Some girls can give you just a smile. A nice smile, I guess.

HC: And the first thing you notice in a girl?JS: Probably her overall demeanor, like how she projects herself. Just her overall attitude.

HC: What do you think are your best qualities?JS:  I guess I’m pretty laidback.

[pagebreak]

HC: So what causes do you care about the most?JS: Social inequality, like how it depends on where you’re born, especially in the United States.  You can be born into an unfair situation that’s almost impossible to get out of. I was very fortunate to be born into the family I was born in – it gave me the opportunity to do well in school. Most people aren’t given that opportunity and it’s an unfair, vicious cycle they get caught in because they were born into a rough economic situation.

HC: Do you think that’s what inspired you to volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters?JS: I just like hanging out with kids. It’s cool to maybe be a role model for someone. 

HC: What else do you like to do in your free time?JS: I like hanging out with friends, listening to music, discovering new artists. I used to play soccer a lot but I haven’t been playing that much here.

HC: Did you play soccer in high school?JS: I actually got hurt in high school and wasn’t really able to play, but I would have.

HC: So what’s your favorite color and what do you think it says about you?JS: I like blue – I like the ocean.

HC: What would your superpower be?JS: Probably just being able to fly. Maybe stop time. Stopping time would be cool – stop time, take a nap, refresh, do whatever you want to do.

HC: Do you have a favorite TV show?JS: Arrested Development.

HC: What about a favorite holiday?JS: Probably Thanksgiving, just because I can hang out with the whole family, eat a lot of good food and watch football.

HC: What’s your favorite food?JS: I’d say my mom’s chicken pot pie.

HC: And your dream job is?JS: Probably just being a doctor somewhere – somewhere where I can surf before going into work.

HC: You like to surf?JS: I learned in the summer when I went to Hawaii. It was the coolest thing in the world. I got up early in the morning to learn how to surf with the locals. It was just the coolest experience.

HC: Three of your favorite things in life are?JS: Family, friends and my puppy Gracie.

HC: And lastly, what do you think is the key to being happy?JS: Just having time to spend with your friends and family – the people you care about.

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus