Hype House Drama: Here’s What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The Hype House was created in December of 2019 when some young TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram influencers got together and decided to create what has come to be known as a “content house.” This type of environment provides creators with a living space where collaboration is easy and every room can be the set of a videoor many. If you are not familiar with the Hype House itself, you are probably familiar with some of its residents, especially if you are an avid TikTok user. These include Chase Hudson, Charli and Dixie D’amelio, Addison Rae, Thomas Petrou, Alex Warren, and Avani Gregg. That’s a whole lot of big personalities under one roof.

In total, there have been 20 people living in the house since December, so understandably some have probably slid under your radar. Until a week ago, Daisy Keech was completely off of mine. However, on March 28th, Keech posted a YouTube video entitled “Truth about the Hype House,” where she accuses the self-proclaimed “house manager” Thomas Petrou, along with fellow founder Chase Hudson, of not giving Keech full credit as a financial founder of the house, among other actions that Keech described as “sketchy.” Lawyers have gotten involved and Keech was even unfollowed by members of the house. Now, she is officially out of the group. 

Two days after posting her dramatic video, Keech dropped a new video, “My NEW house Tour *clubhouse,” where she shows the camera around her new jaw-dropping Beverly Hills mansion. Many friends and family members are featured in the video, happily waving at the camera as if nothing is wrong. Although the Clubhouse itself is beautiful, as well as its affluent members, they are producing very little and quite basic content compared to rival Hype House. 

On April 2, Thomas Petrou posted a video responding to Daisy Keech’s allegations and provided receipts and screenshots as supporting evidence. If the primary point of Keech’s video was that she was not given the credit she deserved for all her financial contributions to the house, Petrou’s point was that Keech was not involved or enthusiastic enough about the house to deserve the credit she was demanding. In his video, Petrou explains his stance that “the Hype House was built off the people and the hard work put into the house, it was not built off of the property.”

After watching both videos myself and pouring over Hype House content for additional evidence, I can solemnly conclude that all this drama makes for a much more entertaining quarantine. Jokes aside, given that all residents of the Hype House are between 15 and 21 years old, drama should be expected. 19 young adults living together may provide good fun videos on social media, but will content houses like this one prove to be a good business model? With a lawsuit on the horizon and plenty of social media rivalry, the answer is unclear. But one thing is for certain: it would be pretty hype to live in a mansion with 18 of your closest friends—at least for a little while. 

Lucy Owen

Wake Forest '23

As a sophomore at Wake Forest, I'm so excited to be back on campus and writing for HerCampus for a second year! I'm majoring in Art History, with double minors in English and Cultural Heritage & Preservation Studies. If you need me, you can usually find me at Camino in ZSR, doing a workout class with friends, walking to Reynolda Village, or trying new restaurants in Winston.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University