This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Being in a dorm room during a pandemic can feel extraordinarily claustrophobic and give anyone the sensation of being stuck. To help combat this, I recommend having an organized space.  Even if you have a roommate who may not be the neatest, at least having your own area straightened out will help make you feel more at ease and comfortable in your space. 

Start with creating sections in your room. For example, if you have a refrigerator, put your snacks near it to create a designated food/kitchen space. Another strategy is to put all of your medicine and toiletries in one area, so if you need Advil for the headache from staring at your screen during Zoom classes all day, you know exactly where it is. It may also be a good idea to put cleaning supplies near the kitchen, in case you are anything like me and spill things quite often. These cleaning supplies should be easily accessible so you can quickly fix any mess. 

Ensure that you have a clear space that you can designate for just school work and classes. Try to avoid overloading your desk with things in order to ensure having a clean space for taking your classes. This will help you mentally distinguish your new virtual school life from your time relaxing in your room. 

Refold those shirts in your drawers that you rummage through to get to your favorite. Also, reorganize your underwear drawer; it’s the little things that make a difference when in a tiny space. 

I know those organization items can be expensive, but they can be so worth it when you feel like you have your sh*t together. So buy those drawers, makeup storage, and desk organizers – it will make all the difference. 

Carly Warren

Wake Forest '23

Class of 2023 from Atlanta, Georgia!
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.