This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I don’t know about you but, for me, second semester is a tough one. I seem to find myself a little down, a little overwhelmed, and seriously lacking motivation. Once you are in this position, it is hard to get out of it. It feels “better” to watch movies alone in your room than it does to study with friends; easier to down a bag of chips than go to the gym. For me this mood is tough to fight, and it takes a little time. But—with some practice—I’ve learned how to combat the “second semester scaries.”

1.Make a schedule.

Set a schedule for yourself, and do your best to stick to it. Wake up (relatively) early and hit the gym before class, devote three hours after classes to just studying, and save time at night for yourself. A routine gives you something to look forward to, and helps ensure you don’t fall back into your negative patterns.

2.Get off campus.

Make a point to get off of campus. Go on a walk at Salem Lake, go get brunch downtown with friends, drive to Charlotte for a concert, etc. Getting away from Wake can serve as a bit of a reboot, forget about what you have to do at school and just have fun.

3.Reach out to your friends.

This mood that you’re in can make it difficult to reach out to your friends, but try to do it anyway. If you’re feeling alone, ask your friends to do something. If they are busy, take that opportunity to make and spend time with new friends. Hang out with people that make you happy, it WILL help.

These three things, in tandem, are the ones that help me. But as important as it is to establish these habits, don’t beat yourself up if you fall off of your schedule, or just need a few days to yourself. See what works for you, and work from there.

Rachel Schmitz

Wake Forest '21

Born and raised in the sunshine state, Rachel is currently a Sophomore at Wake Forest University. She is planning on majoring in both biology and psychology, with a minor in neuroscience. When she isn't busy with school work (and sometimes even when she is), she loves to travel, hike, watch sports, pet dogs, and to feed her online shopping addiction.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.