This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Have you always wanted to journal but don’t know how to get started? Or don’t even know what to do? Then keep reading. Journaling can seem like a very daunting task, but the first thing you have to remember is that there are no set rules, you can do whatever you want. Perhaps, that is why it seems so daunting – there’s not really any structure to journaling…

I have been journaling on and off since I was in elementary school and it is so cool to look back on what I’ve written. Journaling has so many great benefits. It keeps your thoughts organized, can let off steam by venting, record your ideas, practicing gratitude and reflection, can help you wind down before bed, and creates a treasure you can look back on. Journaling has been very stress relieving and rewarding to me and through the years I have discovered great tips and advice.

1. Consistency: I have found that when I make journaling a habit it becomes a part of my routine and much easier to accomplish. Journaling should not feel like a chore, so you have to find a way that works best for you. You don’t need to sit down and write an essay about your day each day, just a few minutes of reflection is perfect. Try to find a journaling routine that you feel comfortable with.

2. Venting: One way to journal is to just let it all out. Of course, it can be messy and grammatically incorrect. Just write down a stream of consciousness of your thoughts and whatever might be bothering you. This is a great way to let off steam and practice letting go.

3. The Threes: During times when I just feel like doing a short and quick entry, I will reflect on my day and write down three things that made me happy, three things that made me anxious, and three things I’m grateful for. This is such an easy way to take a few minutes to reflect and write down your thoughts. 

4. In-Depth: Sometimes I just like to sit down and give a more in detailed update about everything that is going on in my life. This can be nice to take some time and reflect on everything that has been going on in such a busy time. This is also a great way to leave a more detailed record for your future self. 

5. Journaling Books: There are many great journaling books out there that you can purchase. These are great because they are more structured and will give you prompts each day that you can fill out. These are quick to use each day and give you more direction. My favorites are One Question A Day and The Five Minute Journal.

I really hope these tips will help you begin or restart your journey with journaling. I encourage you to try it out and to remember that there is no right or wrong way to journal. Do what makes you feel the best.

Anna Bottin

Wake Forest '24

Anna Bottin is a freshman from Bryn Mawr, PA. She attended The Agnes Irwin School and Mercersburg Academy. Anna loves coffee and kombucha, playing squash, sailing, chess, and traveling.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.