How to Have a Stress-Free Thanksgiving Break Without Falling Behind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Thanksgiving vacation is upon us. Less than two weeks away from break, and I am already dreaming of nights in my own bed. As students at Wake, we all need a break from the stress of “Work Forest,” yet we cannot afford to take an entire week off from our studies with final tests and exams coming up. It can be stressful—and super annoying—to have to find the balance between work and relaxation during what is supposed to be a “break.” But practice makes perfect, right?  

Before I head home for Thanksgiving, I like to make a list of everything I need to do homework-wise. I separate everything I need to do across every day that I am home; read two chapters Monday, Russian activities Tuesday, etc… Creating a schedule helps me to stay on track, so I don’t fall behind and leave a ton of work for Sunday. I get stressed out super easily, so I like to knock my scheduled work out in the morning post-breakfast. This way I have the rest of the day to do whatever I want. If you can procrastinate and make it work, go you! However, I am not one of those people. And this system is the easiest way for me to knock out my studies and still enjoy my free time.

While there is work to be done, don’t forget to do things for yourself. Sleep in, go to the beach or on a hike, watch movies, have a spa day, just do whatever you want. Break is a time to relax and de-stress with family, so treat yourself.

Rachel Schmitz

Wake Forest '21

Born and raised in the sunshine state, Rachel is currently a Sophomore at Wake Forest University. She is planning on majoring in both biology and psychology, with a minor in neuroscience. When she isn't busy with school work (and sometimes even when she is), she loves to travel, hike, watch sports, pet dogs, and to feed her online shopping addiction.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.