How to Have Fun with Your Fam. This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

For all you newbies on campus, you may be a little confused on how Family Weekend 2013 works. While I’m sure everyone is anxious to see their parents for the first time since they departed for college, this weekend really is an opportunity for meals off campus, a shopping spree, and, if you’re lucky, maybe even a good night’s sleep in a Graylyn bed. If you’re still not familiar with Winston, we’ve got you covered!

Fellow collegiette Lauren did a great job with where to eat with your parents, but what is there to do when you’re done chowing down?

As I’m sure you know and are anxiously awaiting, the football game against NC State will be at BB&T Field Saturday afternoon. The game begins at 3:30, leaving us time to tailgate before! Tailgating is a great way to spend the day. I would recommend arriving around 1 p.m. Bring your parents out to cheer on our Deacons and grab a bite – word on the street is ΣAE is hosting a pig roast to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network. Tickets are $10. Let dad relive his “frat” days!

Another great way to spend time with your parents is to poke around Reynolda Village. You could spend hours peeking in all the cute storefronts. Some notable places to stop are START (Wake Forest Student Art Gallery), All Through the Home (home accessories and antiques), Gourmet Olive Branch (premium EVOO and vinegar) and K-9 Doggie Bakery (buy your pup a present!) It’s an easy walk from campus, and girls, you may be able to con your mothers into a Sunday afternoon trip to Monkee’s. For those who don’t know, Monkee’s is a super cute, high-end boutique with a plethora of preppy clothing and accessories.

While your ‘rents are here, you may want to hassle them to take a trip down South Stratford to Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. Sure, grocery shopping isn’t as glamorous as shopping at Monkee’s, but it’s important to replenish your food supply, especially for us collegiettes without a car. Plus, it’s always a nice treat to have your parents foot the grocery bill.

Overall, Family Weekend is fun-filled, with many ways to show your parents how you’re embracing life in the forest. Remember to show your gratitude for them sending you here, but don’t forget to let them spoil you a little – after all, you are a hardworking college kid now!

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.