How to Be A Good Community Member During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.
Wear your mask!

This is the top thing you can do to keep others around you safe! It can be annoying and uncomfortable at times, but it is required. I would suggest testing out different types of masks, reusable, single-use, or made of different materials, to see what is most comfortable for you while being conscious of the rules and those around you!

Do not congregate in large groups!

Meeting up in big groups to hang out or go somewhere is something that most people are used to, however, it is just not reasonable during this pandemic. Unless you can socially distance the whole time, we should all be taking this time to strengthen our one on one relationships! Make time to hang out with smaller groups or hang out individually with your friends. You do not have to quit socializing, but make sure you are being conscious of the new rules.

Be mindful of others!

You may not be uncomfortable or concerned when you see someone who is not wearing a mask, but some people may. Everyone has the right to feel safe, especially during such an uncertain time. You never know what someone else is dealing with, but most people do not need to feel the added stress of worrying if we will be sent home or if they will get sick due to the actions of those who do not want to follow the rules. Being a good community member means recognizing you are not the only person at Wake and being mindful of the way others may feel when rules are violated. Not to mention there is a form for reporting COVID-19 noncompliance.

Wash your hands!

Washing your hands is very important to curb the spread of the coronavirus. High touch surfaces, such as door handles and keypads, are constantly being sanitized on campus but that does not mean you should not use hand sanitizer after using them. Hand sanitizer is very helpful when you are not able to wash your hands right away, but it is by no means a substitute for washing your hands! Washing your hands keeps you from getting sick especially if you do it regularly and you staying healthy helps keep the whole community healthy!

Stay home if you’re sick!

This seems like a no-brainer, but you would be surprised how many people still go to class when they are feeling under weather! It is crucial that we are honest when doing our daily screening surveys and do not still go to class. No one wants to miss class or go into a 2-week quarantine but being a good neighbor means taking into consideration what is good for the whole community, not just what is good for you. One person being in quarantine or isolation is a lot better than a whole group of people having to. Plus, if we all follow the rules as closely as possible, the chances of anyone getting the virus are lessened significantly!

Stay six feet apart!

I know it is a hard thing to remember but being conscious of how close you are to others is very important, not only to keep on-campus cases low but to make sure everyone is comfortable. Not everyone is okay with being close with others during this time so it is a good idea to practice the “safe six” as often as you can! This way everyone is comfortable and COVID free!

It is not easy to adhere to all these rules but all of us doing the best we can has obviously been working this semester as we are still on campus! No matter our case numbers it is very important that we are being respectful of others and helping the community in any way we can! In this case, I believe that following the rules and taking others into account is the best way to be a good community member during the pandemic!

Basia Scott

Wake Forest '24

Basia Scott is a sophomore from Greer, South Carolina, majoring in Anthropology and minoring in Politics and International Affairs. Alongside acting as a Her Campus editor, she serves as the PR chair for Woof Forest (a charity-based student organization benefitting the Forsyth Humane Society).
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.